Designing power consumption meter

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by evios, Nov 24, 2008.

1. evios

Thread Starter Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I was having my project on Automatic Meter Reading. The part on the power meter really cause a big problem for me as measurement cant be taken easily although the hardware is well configured with LCD, however i still need to make a simple power consumption meter for my own using PIC.

I'd asked my supervisor opinion, and he suggest me with PIC. Does anyone can provide me with a detailed circuits that may works? PIC act as a controller, whenever PIC sense 0V, it will not starts measuring, else it will and keeps accumulating the power consumptions (can be in voltage and current). I might needs some help and guidance from all the experts here.

Thank you so much
  2. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
    Evios, why ask for finished solutions to your problem? What will you learn or accomplish from that?

Power comsumption is energy used, watt-hours.

Can you design a PIC based system that can measure current (A) and voltage (V)?

Power (Watts) are given by V*A

Power consumption (Watt-hours) is given by V*A*time

Sample the voltage and current on a frequent basis (maybe every hundreth of a second, or whatever) and multiply by the time base in order to do a piece-wise integration. Accumulate (add it up) over an hour and calculate the Watt-hours used in this fashion.
  3. John Luciani

Apr 3, 2007
    Texas Instruments has a few power meter applications notes for the MSP430.
    They may also even have a reference design. Even if you don't use the MSP430
    you may find some useful information there.

(* jcl *)
  4. evios

Thread Starter Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Well, I might have over request for that. Because I starts everything from nothing, causing me a bit over for it. Well, I need it as references for the circuits, because my major part is not on that, mainly on the RF. Well anyway, thanks for your explanation too.

Well, thanks for that. I will look further for it.