Design Step Down AC Transformer from Scratch

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Mouses, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Mouses

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Hi,

I want to design transformer to step down from 120 V @ 60 Hz on primary to 15 V and max 1 A of current on secondary . To make winding easy for me I am going with EI core.
    I hope to utilize Kgfe (core geometrical constant) method how to determine core size but even if I had spent countless hours looking into datasheets of different manufacturers (I don't want to break any anti-advertisement rule here, but one of them is mentioned in linked pdf about Kgfe method in the beginning of example #1. ), I wasn't able to convert provided specs into Kfe (core loss coefficient) and Beta coefficient.
    Given that core loss Pfe = Kfe*(dB^{Beta})*Ac*lm
    Can you point me out as how to use this method with data which are actually available?

Thanks.

2. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Bernard likes this.
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    It has been my experience so far that there is virtually no definitive transformer design criteria out there.
    Max.

Mouses likes this.
  4. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
  5. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Thats a 8:1 turns ratio, just select the size of wire that will give you the secondary current.

6. Mouses

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks,
    although it doesn't seem to be related to Kgfe method. I will go through it and post back if I am able to put it in any relation with the theory I am already familiar to.
    M
    I'll check - thanks.

7. Mouses

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks, but I wanted to compute size of the core with that particular method which I've mentioned. I don't have troubles with turn ratio.

8. Mouses

Mar 1, 2015