Design Project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Kathi, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Kathi

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Hi guys I am doing a design project for my power electronics course and I am stuck at a place where I need to design a PWM for a boost converter.
    So please let me know how to design a PWM to trigger for a boost converter ?

Thanks in advance

2. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Hi Kathi, welcome to the forum.

First thing you need to know is that we aren't going to just give you anything. You have to do the research. However, if while implementing the ideas you have any specific questions, that is when we can help point you in the right direction.

I expect this is a design project for school, so your professor should have given you the information necessary. At the very least, try googling PWM for boost converters. Once you have done your own work, THEN we can help you.

Regards,
    Matt

3. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    What do you have so far? Or, please let us know if you want us to build it from scratch. I am sure one of use will build the final version too. Heck, we could even present it for you to assure that you get an A. Once you graduate, we will all be happy to take turns doing your projects and assure that you get a good performance review and get promoted to management.

4. Kathi

Nov 25, 2013
    Thanks for the replies here's our project and in this design project, a switched-mode power supply (SMPS) is designed. The input voltage source is single-phase AC (120V, 60Hz). Output must be a controlled DC Voltage. Designed SMPS must have input power factor correction (PFC) and output voltage regulation. Input power factor must beabove 90%. Output voltage ripple must be less than 5%. An EMI filter must also be designed toreduce input current harmonics.
    SMPS conversion configuration must be designed. Single-stage (e.g., only an AC/DC rectifier), two-stage (e.g., a diode rectifier followed by a boostconverter), or multi-stage (e.g., a diode rectifier and PFC boost converter followed by a flyback converter) conversion topologies can be selected.

This is my project so far I designed the basic circuit with source, EMF, diode bridge connected to Boost converter which is connected to a Flyback converter. To complete the circuit I need to give a PWM trigger to Boost converter and I dont understand how to do that. Please help me with this
    Thanks

5. Kathi

Nov 25, 2013
    Are you serious can you really build it from the scratch ?

6. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    He is not serious, he was being sarcastic.

7. Kathi

Nov 25, 2013
    Okay I will work on my project and if I get any specific doubts ill come back to you guys

8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    There are PWM chips that will generate a pulse signal with duty cycle controlled by how far the voltage is off from the set point voltage. TL494 or TL594. These only generate the signal, you will need a pass transistor to feed higher currents in to the system.

Otherwise, you can build a triangle wave generator and connect to a comparitor. Connect the other end of the comparitor to the actual voltage. The output of the comparitor will be the PWM signal to feed the system.