Design Project Help!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jjuurreell, Sep 9, 2012.

1. jjuurreell

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Our Design Project is Automated Cocktail Mixer..

So, what do you guys prefer to use ? Arduino or PIC Microcontroller ?

Thanks!

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    My opinion would be: Pic if you want to do the "real work", arduino if you do not have any experience in programming microcontrollers.....

3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I guess this is a school project. So I would say, use the one you are familiar with from classes

4. jjuurreell

Sep 9, 2012
    Well this is just a innovation.. meaning we just need to improve the existing project.. the existing project uses PIC as microcontroller so we are planning to use arduino.

Im not really familiar with the arduino so i need some help here .. please enlighten me about the two microcontroller. Can you explain the differences about the two?

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The PIC is a bare-bones platform which you can program in any language of your choice.

The Arduino is a systems platform that allows you to build on existing software and hardware modules using the C language.

6. jjuurreell

Sep 9, 2012
    Ok then , lets say i have 3 PIC microcontroller .. the PIC1, PIC2 and PIC3 .. can i make this 3 PIC into 3 Arduino? .. i mean ARD1, ARD2 and ARD3?

7. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    I do not really understand what you mean by making them arduinos.... but,

You can "make" them into an Arduino I guess, but the arduino interpreter and sketches won't run on them..... you will have to make them into a "pinguino"

8. jjuurreell

Sep 9, 2012
    What i really mean is, a PIC microcontroller with the same function in Arduino? I mean, there is a lot of kind of arduino that makes me a little confused. or really confused. sorry about it.

9. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    But here I am somewhat puzzled. What will be the improvement factor in swapping from PIC to Arduino.

10. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    There are many more versions of PICs than there are Arduinos to choose from.
    You can make a PIC do what the Arduino does and vice versa.

The question is do you want to learn from scratch on the PIC or do you want a set of library functions, software applications and hardware add-ons from the Arduino community that is already done for you?

11. jjuurreell

Sep 9, 2012
    its my mistake by telling that swapping PIC to Arduino is the innovation. I just want to say that the project already exist with a PIC on it. We are going to use arduino, and we will put some improvement. Not saying that swapping is the improvement that we are going to do.

12. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Then your choice is already made for you. Go with the Arduino and make your improvements.

13. jjuurreell

Sep 9, 2012
    I really wanted to say that i want to do this from scratch, but i also wanted to make things easier to lessen the mistakes and to save time. Correct me if im wrong, would it be more easier to use Arduino? and will it lessen the error?

14. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    If you are used to work with PIC micros and C from your class. I would say no

15. jjuurreell

Sep 9, 2012
    why not? :confused:

16. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    An analogy would be something like this:

You've been using Windows OS since the beginning and you're very familiar with it. Has a lot of goodies installed in your harddisk. And all of a sudden, you heard your friends say that the Mac or Linux are 1000 times better and easier to use compared to your windows box.

Now you're asking "should I continue the project that I am doing on the windows box OR migrate to the new environments to continue with my present project?"...... assuming you've never used a Mac or Linux before.

So what would you think my answer is gonna be? :D

Allen

p/s disclaimer: I have nothing against Mac or Linux or windows.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  17. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    It is also that the Arduino platform. Is made to be easy for the beginners. In order to do this. A lot of decisions are taken for you by the people behind the Arduino. And you are stuck with that. As soon you want to step somewhat outside the beginners path. These premade decisions will be a limitation and a wheel chock for your project. It is a reason for that Arduinos not are used outside the hobbyist market.

18. jjuurreell

Sep 9, 2012
    the analogy really help, thanks!

but let me give you a new situation .. what if you dont know PIC nor Arduino, as in you have no idea about them .. and you need to make a project out of this microcontrollers.. which do you prefer to use for a beginner?

thanks!

19. jjuurreell

Sep 9, 2012
    so still , PIC is more advisable microcontroller to be used versus the arduino? i will discuss this to my group. Thanks! this help us!