Design of electrical switch

amitmahajan82

Joined Aug 19, 2010
Hi All,

I want to design an electrical switch which can be controlled mechanically (like normal toggle switch) and can also be controlled by radio sensor (like based on Zigbee). Is it possible? Can you please suggest companies which can have design such kind of product?

BR,
Amit

Last edited:

amitmahajan82

Joined Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for your reply. But my query is rather more from an engineering perspective and is limited to a electrical switch. I want to have a electrical switch that can be controlled in both ways i.e. mechanically as well as through radio.

Let me put it other way. Can we have an electrical circuit which can allow/disrupt electricity supply by pushing/toggling some button and can be controlled via radio as well.

Regards,
Amit

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
The link I posted shows you that you can manually turn the switch on/off by hand, or use a wireless remote. Which part of that does not fit your needs?

amitmahajan82

Joined Aug 19, 2010
The link I posted shows you that you can manually turn the switch on/off by hand, or use a wireless remote. Which part of that does not fit your needs?
Instead of controlling any particular light, I want to control electrical switch via radio to allow/dis-allow power supply.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
So use the switch to turn the power supply on and off.
What's the problem? We don't understand why a switch can not be used to do this.

amitmahajan82

Joined Aug 19, 2010
So use the switch to turn the power supply on and off.
What's the problem? We don't understand why a switch can not be used to do this.
You guys are right in a way but let me try to write down my requirement again. Let us forget about radio for a while.

I need to Design a switch which is having two interfaces for allowing/dis-allowing power supply:
1. Tocuh interface to allow/dis-allow power supply.
2. Another interface in the back-end which can receive digital signal to
allow/dis-allow power supply.

-Amit

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That's basically what the X-10 does expect is uses the power lines to carry the remote signal.

So you just need an RF module to detect the remote signal and control a relay or electronic switch. The same relay/switch could also be logically OR'd to a local mechanical switch so that either would have control as desired.

amitmahajan82

Joined Aug 19, 2010
That's basically what the X-10 does expect is uses the power lines to carry the remote signal.

So you just need an RF module to detect the remote signal and control a relay or electronic switch. The same relay/switch could also be logically OR'd to a local mechanical switch so that either would have control as desired.
Thanks for your reply.

I am not a guy from electrical background. I want some engineer to design such kind of prototype for an electrical switch with touch interface and RF module for controlling electricity supply. Could you point me to companies or engineers which can do such kind of design work.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I'll do it once I get your check :rolleyes:.. $10,000 USD for initial design and first functional prototype.. Final packaging, injection mold design, safety certification,etc... will be billed at $160 per hour.. I'd expect about 50+ hours to finalize. PM me for contact information. A one time fee of $5000 USD will also be required for patent searches. Quoted prices do not include patent application fees or time spent on patent approvals.

Of course I hope you know the product already exists (lutron and I'm sure others make it) Its not a new novel idea..

Last edited:

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Is this the product you need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pack-Wireless-Remote-Control-AC-Power-Plug-Wall-Outlet-Switch-Socket-RETAIL-/261178496153?pt=Home_Automation_Controls_Touchscreens&hash=item3ccf739499

I bought this locally and it can be switched on using remote control. On the socket you can also switch it on or off using the 2 buttons built on it. If you want to have touch interface built on the remote control and in big quantity. You might contact the manufacturer of this product (most probably made in China) and get them to design for you.

If you just need one or two units, that would be very expensive to design and make it to have a professional look.

Allen

Last edited: