Design digital clock

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by veer123456, Feb 10, 2010.

1. veer123456

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    pls help me design digital clock 24 hours using counters IC
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Welcome to the forums. I moved your post into its own thread.

It sounds like you're looking for a completed circuit. We do require you to do theactual work, while we will offer help and hints.

So far, it's a 24 hour clock. What have you been able to do? With an assignment like this, your school must make reference material available. Have you decided on a logic family? What kind of display to use?

Can you use a simulator app to try out designs?
  3. count_volta

Feb 4, 2009
    So your clock must have all 24 hours. I always thought you need 60 states to make a 60 second clock, and then a few more states to keep track of minutes and hours. I remember my professor once said you don't need 60 states, there was some trick which I forgot.

Either way you should use the finite state machine design method for a counter. This is an interesting topic, I would also like to make my own clock. For now we are designing 4 bit counters in the lab, which are in fact clocks that count 15 seconds.
  4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    The homework section is full of this question. Do a search, and select Forum only search. But feel free to post any question regarding your design. We will gladly help if you post a schematic, with critique and corrections.
  5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Here is the standard block diagram for one...

6. lmartinez

Mar 8, 2009
    How are you going to power your circuit (a reference voltage source with a regulated frequency)? ;) Too many unknown variables to advice...