Design a circuit to fit 0.17 cubic inches

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by greenace92, Mar 19, 2015.

1. greenace92

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I am working on a project that requires me to fit a circuit of a simple relay like that of a smart watch.

The device connects to the smart phone wirelessly and specifically speaking about the communication aspect, can a circuit that transmits and receives, including a micro controller be that small? If so, is that something that I can do or it's more of an industrial thing?

2. MCU88

Mar 12, 2015
    You need to know the software protocols of the device. This is usually trusted top secret information, or as you say 'an industrial thing' You could find information on the web or hack it yourself if this is you. Depends on how determined you are to have it I guess. Money on the table to pay an expert may ease your frustrations. You could find yourself in court being sued though. Be carful whatever you do.

3. greenace92

Mar 19, 2015
    I'm not stealing anything, I am inventing it. I just haven't made circuits before, I have studied them in class.

This particular project... well I suppose I could design it myself from scratch, studying how the wireless signal is generated eg. how to to send and transmit understandable data like what bluetooth uses, what concerns me is the scale. I want to build it in layers and so everything even the micro processor or integrated circuit would have to be condensed to a layer and I'm not sure if that exists or if I, a non-manufacturing-capable human being, can even make that.

4. MCU88

Mar 12, 2015
    You are trying to interface into an existing system that has a closed door to non-authorized people. They can and may sue you for breaking in. To sue someone all you need to do is provide proof of loss of income.

5. greenace92

Mar 19, 2015
    Are you trolling me? It's an accessory, I would like it to be used as a blue tooth device like a speaker, or a keyboard.

I am not going to worry about this project; for the moment I have lost interest in this project, seeing that it has yet to exist, I am not concerned about making it exist. Further I don't have the financial means to even file a provisional patent, it would be better if the device existed first before I tried to advertise it.

6. MCU88

Mar 12, 2015
    Trolling? You don't simply expect someone to hand you an design on an silver platter do you? If it was my system I would sue you and win. You cannot just make accessories for existing systems and go to market.

7. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Ignoring the chatter...
    Stop right there. The word "wirelessly" can mean many things. Do you know what protocol it is using? Blue tooth, WiFi, what?

I stick third party devices onto my smart phone all the time: speaker phones, loud speakers, lots of stuff. Making that simple is one of the selling points the original manufacturer worked hard to insure.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    What are you talking about? Who said, "manufacture millions in competition with the unknown corporation that has never made one of these"?

9. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Trying to fit a system of the complexity it seems you need into a volume of 0.17 cu ins would be a challenge! Robotic assembly would almost certainly be needed, and possibly custom ICs.

10. Gibson486

Jul 20, 2012
    You are looking at an asic at this point (or a small FPGA if they even make it that small) if you are saying you need it to be as small as you need it to be. Check to see what is in an apple watch. That should give you an idea.

11. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    The latter. Consider that you need a battery, case, human interface (e.g.. power switch) in addition to your circuit. It can be done (bluetooth headsets, Apple watch, etc.) but not by most people.

12. MachineHum

Nov 3, 2014
    0.17'' is tricky ... here's a 2.4Ghz transceiver SOC with an 8-bit uC.

http://www.nordicsemi.com/eng/Products/2.4GHz-RF/nRF24LE1-OTP

Here's a breakout...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NRF24LE1-NR...770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ade8f763a

You're obviously going to need to design your own pcb if you want to get it smaller (I recommend Eagle). But 0.17'' is a little unrealistic, you would have to move everything to the silicon which runs about $500,000USD/dye ... not to mention extensive experience with integrated circuit design. Here are some decapped shots of a chip in the same family http://zeptobars.ru/en/read/Nordic-NRF24L01P-SI24R1-real-fake-copy

13. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  14. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I think the TS's question has been resolved. However, on the question of size, "0.17 cubic inches" is really quite large for modern devices, depending on how you read it. As just one possibility, I read it as a PCB one inch on an edge (25mmX25mm) and no more than 0.17" high.

John

Roderick Young likes this.
  15. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Yep.. I think its entirely possible.. But obviously we are missing 99% of the details/schematic/housing/connector options,etc.... Long way to go for the OP.. But entirely possible.

16. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    He didn't ask if it's possible, he asked if he could do it. If you have to ask....

17. MachineHum

Nov 3, 2014
    Sorry I wasn't thinking about area properly...

Derp. For some reason I was thinking 0.17'' on each side. With some clever PCB design you can get 0.17'' .... (0.41'' on either side)... you're going to need to get boards fabbed, I like Dirty PCB or OSH Park ... get a stencil from them as well and you're not going to be able to hand solder the parts. 0402 resistors MAX, if you're felling comfortable, 0402 or 0201... Reflow oven, or a Toaster over with thermocouple and relay