design 8bit cpu with cisc & risc instructions with max plus software

majid123

Joined Mar 8, 2015
hi all
i need to project of 8bit cpu design with cisc & risc instructions with max plus software
please help me?
thanks all.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You have given us almost nothing to go on. You need to describe some of what you have in mind. I can also email your professor and tell him I will be doing your work for you. Is that OK with you?

majid123

Joined Mar 8, 2015
You have given us almost nothing to go on. You need to describe some of what you have in mind. I can also email your professor and tell him I will be doing your work for you. Is that OK with you?
i want design of a CPU 8 bit with risc and cisc instructions in max plus software.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Do you take me for an idiot? You already said that and I told you it was not enough. It is nonsensical in the extreme to design a processor with both types of instruction sets. There any number of other fundamental choices you need to make, so get busy and show some industry.
You might want to start with the size of the address space and if the architeture will be Harvard or Princeton.

majid123

Joined Mar 8, 2015
Do you take me for an idiot? You already said that and I told you it was not enough. It is nonsensical in the extreme to design a processor with both types of instruction sets. There any number of other fundamental choices you need to make, so get busy and show some industry.
You might want to start with the size of the address space and if the architeture will be Harvard or Princeton.
excuse me I do not want to disrespe,i dont have great proficiency in English. can you design it with cisc instructions ?
thanks a lot

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
excuse me I do not want to disrespe,i dont have great proficiency in English. can you design it with cisc instructions ?
thanks a lot
We can. And since you are struggling so much we can make it easy for you and submit it directly to your professor for you. Just provide us with the name of the institution and the course number and we'll take care of the rest.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sure, Dubya and I could knock this out by Wednesday, but what would you learn if we did that. Start with how much memory the processor needs to have. Then decide if you want a single accumulator or a register bank with a load/store architecture. Don't tell us you want us to decide which way to go - this is your project after all.

I could also do a pure stack machine that executes FORTH directly.

majid123

Joined Mar 8, 2015
Sure, Dubya and I could knock this out by Wednesday, but what would you learn if we did that. Start with how much memory the processor needs to have. Then decide if you want a single accumulator or a register bank with a load/store architecture. Don't tell us you want us to decide which way to go - this is your project after all.

I could also do a pure stack machine that executes FORTH directly.
thanks all .
please give me an example project of design 8bit cpu with risc or cisc instructions in max plus software that i can practice with it and I solve problems . thanks .

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Go to the open cores project. They have many projects. It won't be much help if you don't understand the reasons for various design choices.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
thanks all .
please give me an example project of design 8bit cpu with risc or cisc instructions in max plus software that i can practice with it and I solve problems . thanks .
Translation: Let me try to trick you into doing my work for me by pretending that I am only asking for an "example", even though I will turn this in for credit claiming that it is my work.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
With the opencores project you would have to be a fool to turn one of those in because they are so well known.

FYI -- The Altera Corporation no longer supports the MAX Plus software. It wants everybody to switch to Quartus II.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
With the opencores project you would have to be a fool to turn one of those in because they are so well known.

FYI -- The Altera Corporation no longer supports the MAX Plus software. It wants everybody to switch to Quartus II.
I actually suspect that, at many institutions, you could get away with it because the faculty are largely divorced from real-world practice. Unless it's in the text or part of the instructor's resource material for the course, many instructors won't even know that something like opencores even exists. Sad, but true.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There is still the requirement to know the difference between VHDL and Verilog. I'm not sure MAX Plus supports either one. I haven't seen a processor design in equation or schematic form since 1971.