Delta - Y conversions

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by xortan, May 24, 2010.

1. xortan

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Hello everyone I got my my exam in circuits and I have come across a pretty tricky delta - Y conversion question. I understand how to do these conversions and all that but this question has me confused and I dont know if I am heading in the right direction or not. I have provided the question and a pic of some of the work I've done. If somebody cause please provide a solution to this problem that would be great as this is the only question on the entire review I don't get and my exam is tommorow morning!

I have gotten it down to something that looks like a T circuit but then I am not sure how to calculate Rin and Rout, I have like 6 pieces of scrap paper beside me of attempts of trying to figure this out and its really starting to strees and demoralize me....please help!

Thanks in advance!

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Your work is virtually illegible.

In any case there are a couple of simple reductions which you may have already included.

R7, R8 and R10 are in parallel. Also R6 & R9 are in parallel. So these are immediately reducible without recourse to Delta-Wye reduction. R3, R4 & R5 are an obvious candidate for Y-Δ.

3. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Since you are so close to an exam I'll attach a solution for the reduction to a 'T' form.

4. xortan

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Oh my god you are my hero! thank you so much!