Dell M109S DLP projector - help with pinout of multi-cable

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by orangezero, Feb 25, 2015.

1. orangezero

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Hello,

I picked up two dell M109S DLP projectors for almost nothing. I knew they would not come with the specific "multi-cable" that it uses, but figured I could look at the motherboard and figure out the pins after I took it apart. As it turns out, I can't.

Eventually I would like to try to use them as a head's up display or maybe even attempt to make a DLP SLA printer by switching the LEDs out.

How would one go about figuring out the pins without causing any damage? I would need access to the power pins and the ones for vga input (or at least some of them). My visual inspection didn't decipher anything useful.

Just a bit more info on the projector. They use three LEDs and a DLP chip, so no high powered lamp to worry about. I've searched for the cable but no one has it in stock. I could end up trying to find another projector that includes the cord and learn from it, but what fun would that be?

http://www.buildyourownsla.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2642 is a page where I show a few of the internals, but left off the back to show the multi cable plug. It is a 30pin cable, similar in size to the old apple connector.

I'd appreciate even general advice on this as I'm assuming very few would have ever seen them in person.

Thank you,

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I looked in the usual places for pinouts or a service manual. No joy.

3. orangezero

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Thanks for checking. I was hoping to find a service manual but had no luck either.