Dell laptop charger circuit

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Anyone got a circuit of a dell inspiron 1525 mother pcb charger, or know which chip it is on the pcb and where it is, (not the adapter)?

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Dell had a major power supply recall due to a fire in approximately 2004 or 2005. Dell didn't believe it was their equipment that caused the fire but some aftermarket parts from the customers. Because of this, Dell incorporated some major control circuitry to insure only genuine Dell cords, chargers, and power supplies are used on their equipment.

You may have difficulty trying to figure out how to override anything from Dell.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I know the data signal is there from the adapter cos ive scoped it, and swapped the adapter with another,its definitely on the mother pcb.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It will probably be cheaper to get a Dell charger. I have used Dell computers in medical instrumentation settings, so we could not use a Dell power supply. My experience back then was that they only refused to charge the battery. Then used on a non Dell power. But this may have changed. I stopped used Dells laptops because it was to many issues with them.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Its not the adapter as its a genuine Dell one. its the pcb definitely, the adapter gives out a data signal when plugged into the laptop, which i can follow on the mother board with a scope, looks like i will have to modify a separate charger externally.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I just received a free lappy because the owner had bought it a new battery and 2 chargers, and it still didn't work. When I applied a genuine Dell charger, it worked.

Just saying...some of the "equivalent" chargers don't work on Dell computers. Hoping you don't get run on a wild goose chase.