Delayed Automatic On Relay

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by epicfatigue, Feb 25, 2013.

1. epicfatigue

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post here,
    I drew up this circuit, i believe it is correct but before i set off on wiring it up i just wanted to double check with people that know what they are doing.

I am attempting to create a time delay on relay, once the circuit has power then x amount of time it will close the relay and when power is gonethe relay will then open again.

this is what i sketched up.[​IMG]

2. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    your circuit will work,but it could do with a few extras......have a look at this to give an idea how to use the 555 timer and you could always download a datasheet

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. epicfatigue

Feb 22, 2013
    thanks is that a negative or a positive trigger on that circuit. ?

Have you tested it?

4. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    yes that particular circuit has been built and tested many times and been used for quite a few different things with component changes to suit....the 555 requires a negative going trigger signal and the circuit around the bc547 etc provide an edge triggered signal for the 555

5. epicfatigue

Feb 22, 2013
    what changes would i have to make to that circuit to make it a positive trigger or to only start when power is applied to the circuit?

As my application requires a 5v trigger

6. epicfatigue

Feb 22, 2013
    okay i believe i have it now, using my original circuit with a few things moved around and using a pnp instead of a npn it should work!

7. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    pnp......nooooo.....as it is the trigger signal is active hi-positive-to do the same with a pnp your trigger would be active lo....the op from the 555 is active hi and the transistor switches the gnd side of the load,if using a pnp on the op that would switch the supply side to the load but the 555 op would need to be inverted.....if you wish pin 2 could be triggered as shown.....that gives you a lo going trigger which then swings hi and stays there.....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  8. epicfatigue

Feb 22, 2013
    ah thanks for your help!,

fyi the walking dead is awesome!

i just spent all night reading a book on the 555 and i came here to post the good news i got it working!

[​IMG]

this is how i did it works flawless i used the resistor from pin 2 to 8 as a fast discharge works perfectly!