Delay on/off circuit

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
What is the purpose of out2?
Out2 is twice the length of Out1; up to 16 seconds longer.

and i assume that the U3d is connected in similar fashion with U3b and U3c.
There are four NAND gates in one package. They all need to have their inputs connected to something; either Vdd, GND, or another signal. They cannot be left disconnected, or "floating".

And that all 4 U3's are part of the same 4093 Schmitt trigger?
Yes, they are all in the same IC package.

Would i connect the motor in series through wire ?

Motor?
Is that what this is for? What are you trying to do with a motor?
You didn't mention that before now.

If you are hoping for a motor to run the same number of turns one way as it does the other way, it won't work like that.

You need to state what you want to do with the motor. This may have just been a big waste of time, and that is my fault for not asking more questions.

The grounding can be taken as just the negative terminal of a battery pack?
Whatever the power supply is, yes.

sorry for the amount of questions but im really trying to understand this, i don't want to just go away and build it without learning how it works.
That's OK - better to ask questions than simply not understand something.

As the circuit is now, there is no place where you could connect a motor. Since you didn't state the purpose of the timer, I did not provide any output besides showing that it could be done.

vitaterne

Joined Dec 2, 2011
Its not your fault at all, Its mine for not being more clear, you have already gone beyond anything i could have hoped for. The motor would be run for as long as the current flows in the circuit similar in fashion to how the circuit works as a whole, so motor runs for as long as switch is closed+the extra time ones the switch is open, surely it could be simply connected in series somewhere in the circuit? it does have to turn the opposite way on the run down but that can be done with a dual on/on switch to reverse its polarity which would be actuated in tandem with S1 manually.

I hope I'm not frustrating you, as i said you have already done so much more than i expected of anyone.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you are expecting the motor to have the same number of turns in both directions, well that is not going to happen without some kind of positive feedback. That means counting the number of turns one direction, and then counting them back down on the return.

Even motors that are designed to operate in both directions, tend to run better in one direction than they do in the other.

Also, if the loading is different for one direction than the other, you will have a much more significant difference.

It is very hard on a motor and the switch/relay to suddenly reverse the direction of current when it is running. The motor should be allowed to stop completely first.

Anyway, the signal at (B), or Out1, would be used to energize a relay that would cause the motor to run in one direction.

The signal at (A) would be used to supply power to the motor.

A power interruption and wait time needs to be introduced when (B) or Out1 goes low.

What is the real application for this motor? You're talking about running one way and then the other, but you are not telling me what the actual application is.

vitaterne

Joined Dec 2, 2011
I know about the issue with reversing a motor, but in this situation it doesn't have to be perfect, if i connected the terminals of the motor to output 2 and to the ground it would function within a reasonable margin of error?

Maybe if i explained the overall concept behind the idea, a "robot" vehicle sets off. It hits a wall reversing the polarity of the motor via the dual on/on and opening switch1. It then travels until the timer reaches 0 again coming to a rest within a reasonably close distance from its starting point. Does this make sense bearing the circuit in mind?

vitaterne

Joined Dec 2, 2011
Il try rephrasing it, i do admit I'm not being very clear.

Ok, the vehicle is placed at an undetermined distance from a wall, its objective is to travel to the wall and return to its starting point. The circuit times how long it takes for it to travel to the wall and so is able to use the time value to keep the motor running (which has been reversed) until the timer counts back to zero, at which point it should have travelled the same distance that it travelled on its way to the wall returning it to its starting point.

vitaterne

Joined Dec 2, 2011
So i would connect the U3d inputs to out1 and then have the outputs connected to ground so as to stop the voltage being transferred to the second loop in the circuit through out2? (am i learning?)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Here, see the attached.

I've added a couple of relays and a motor.
Relay1 controls which direction current flows through the motor.
Relay2 switches power to the motor on and off.

Attachments

vitaterne

Joined Dec 2, 2011
Thank you so much, you have been a lifesaver and i'm not exaggerating, although its a lot more complex than i first thought I've learnt a lot and il enjoy putting it together, Il report back when I've built it all so you can see the results. thank you so much again. Going to catch some sleep now.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Be sure to use slow turning motors. High rpm will mean wheel slippage + long coast time after power is removed from motor.

To be more precise, you would want to count wheel revolutions, and to add much of any more functionality, use a uC. The final solution is a single IC that can be reprogrammed, for about $3. $50 startup cost for a PICKit 2 and demo board from Microchip.

If you are interested in robotics, and want to do more advanced tasks, such as reversing before you hit the wall, you will have a blast with a uC, provided you know C or BASIC and have a working concept of basic electronics, which you seem to have.

I'll stop the hijack, since Wookie is actually the wizard with this stuff, he's even beginning to not dread microcontrollers. :D