deflection coil question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by lokeycmos, Jun 28, 2010.

1. lokeycmos

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    can anyone please tell me how many volts typically go through the horizontal and vertical deflection coils on a crt tv or monitor? TY

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    The deflection voltages always depends on the size of the tube.
    The vertical scanning voltage is always much lower than the horizontal scanning voltage.

Taking a typical 21" tube.
    A vertical Vcc will be around 14V....But this voltage also tend to be higher depending on the type of output stage is used to drive the yolk. 14V are for typical Vertical IC drivers.
    The flyback or horizontal uses much higher voltage and will be around 95V to 140V depending on the size. The AC component in the flyback circuitry will be around 1000's of volts

3. lokeycmos

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    im going to try a poormans oscilloscope that ive seen on many many sites. so correct me if im wrong, i want to amplify the audio into the vertical coil to about 14 v? would it also work to twist the yolk 90 degrees to make the 'scope' horizontal?

4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Sorry buddy. It does not work that way...

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    lokeycmos,
    I am assuming that you are a newcomer to electronics.

Please be advised that CRTs (cathode ray tubes) are charged to very high voltages; some as high as 30,000 volts - and that charge can take a very long time to bleed off.

Opening the case of a CRT, whether television, computer monitor, or oscilloscope is not a healthy activity for a neophyte.

If you feel that you must do so despite this warning, at least keep one hand in your back pocket. You might not get killed; just hurt.

6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Now I think this thread can be locked

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004