defibrillator analyser

RESMY

Joined Jul 27, 2010
im doing a project on defibrillator analyser. can u suggest a suitable controller/processor fr the project

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Since it's a medical application, you'll want:

• Ultra high reliability
  • Sometimes dual/triple processors, to verify the others
  • Commercial/Industrial temperature range
  • Any appropriate ESD protection on the inputs
  • Optional: Low power consumption so it will work on batteries well

RESMY

Joined Jul 27, 2010
i hav choosen AT91SAM9XE512 controller.it has ARM926EJS core,32kb rom,32kb rom,512 kb flash,10bit adc,operating temperature range -40C to +85C.is this processor apt?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Well, that's an awful lot of flash and RAM for a basic application. Generally, you'd be looking for an external, medical-rated ADC, probably around 16 bits, 10 bits is really too low.

You'd be looking more at rated medical devices (that is, the manufacturer guarantees that the processors won't fail in a life saving application.) Is this a college/university project or is it a commercial product? You won't need to worry too much about reliability if you're doing it to get a grade...

Commercial temperature range: 0 to +70°C
Industrial temperature range: -40°C to +85°C

n1ist

Joined Mar 8, 2009
Start by making a list of what the processor needs:

- How much digital I/O
- On-chip function (ADC. DAC, timers, lcd controller, serial busses, etc)
- Are there any code speed or complexity requirements (real-time response, read an ADC often, refresh a display, lots of floating point math, etc)
- Determine your language of choice, and decide whether you will be using an RTOS or operating system
- Make a rough guess of memory requirements - code space, RAM space, EEPROM for storage, memory for logging. Don't forget to account for string variable storage, lookup or linearization tables, font storage, etc.
- Look into what hardware (programmers, debuggers, emulators, eval boards) you have.

Now you have enough information to choose a processor.
/mike

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Tom66,

I think some you're missing RESMY's project definition. It's a defibrillator "analyzer". This is used for testing, or characterizing, defibrillator triggering and outputs. It would not be used in a "patient environment"...hopefully. It would not require medical grade components or triple redundancy....though Best Practices still apply, as they would be dealing with high voltage and high power discharges.

Ken

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Yes, that's why I added the footnote on "if this is a college/university project" that reliability would only be something to mention in the write up and you could just get away with a PIC chip or something similar.