defective auto battery charger

missing link

Joined Oct 8, 2012
Hello all,I'm Paul from Manchester England,I hope you are all well.

I have a Hilka 83500012 battery charger and I have had it for a year now,so it is not really old,and it's stopped operating.
I was looking on youtube of a fella repairing a charger where he had changed the button diodes. So I have opened up the charger hoping I could do such repair. Unfortunately the charger is without theses button diodes. Hoping the following picture will help,what would likely be the cause of the fault,perhaps the 3 legged components which I think are rectifiers,be the problem

Or it could be the transformer itself be faulty.
Your opinions will be appreciated,thanks in advance

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Looks like its got an IC in the middle for some form of "intelligent " charging, can you measure the AC from the transformer, also DC from the bridge rectifier and see what your getting, any chance you can get the part numbers from the components?

missing link

Joined Oct 8, 2012
I wouldn't know how to test for AC from the transformer. I did try it several days ago,black lead on the charger housing and the red lead on one of the transformer wires,I didn't expect it to spark:D
M1 has the number TP76N075T IXYS K724 DE7352,and D7 MBR2045CTG

Thanks Dave

dataman19

Joined Dec 26, 2009
Assuming you have established that you have power on the transformer secondary (incidentally a neon voltage indicator/tester will tell you if you have voltage).
That said:
Have you checked all the Capacitors... The picture is decent, but it looks like one of the Caps (the one essentially pointed to by the green line in the photo) has a rounded top (swollen case). The caps have little indented "X"s on them so that they can expand without blowing the tube sides. Sometimes they swell and the dome smooths out.
Are all the caps good?
Also some battery chargers use an in-line fuse that looks like a resistor (just no color code bands). I think they call them Pico Fuses. If someone shorted the charger, it could have blown this fuse - check there too.
Other than that, I will need a better and clearer look at the PC Board. I know it is a daunting task, so many wires, so little room to wiggle.....
Dave
Phoenix, AZ

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Most chargers made today are required to be connected to a battery before it'll start. The reason for this is so that you won't plug in the charger and then connect it to a battery backwards. The charger must see some voltage of the correct polarity before it'll turn on.
Since you are from Manchester yours may be different, but that's what I have seen here for the past several years.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Some wires in your picture have thermal wraps.
Slit those back and look for a thermal fuse.
Otherwise, look for a regular fuse, and if not that, then test and possibly replace the recitfiers. From what I can see of the capacitors, they look good.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Could you take some more pictures , wider shots to get all the guts in!

To check the voltage from transformer , put your meter on AC (30 volt range) , make sure the leads are in the "Com and V" sockets on the meter, the transformer should be giving about 15v ac.

Looking at the diode D7 package, your transformer may have 3 wires, possibly one black and two white ones, measure between the black and whites.

missing link

Joined Oct 8, 2012
Right,sorry chaps for the delay. I've been trying to get my Canon A470 up and running,it eats the battery power. Even though the batteries have been on charge overnight,the camera will go on briefly. Having left them on charge for days,the camera stays on for a couple of shots,then the camera goes dead. Anyway,here are some more pictures

I must say though,this camera is brilliant with macro ability