Deciphering complex capacitor circuit

Discussion in 'Physics' started by maxn, Dec 14, 2005.

1. maxn

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Would you please recomend a simple method for finding an equivalent capacitance of a complex circuit with capacitors only? I am having a hard time, knowing how to redraw the circuit diagram and establishing correct relationship between the capacitors(parallel vs series). Of course this causes me to get a wrong calculated value for equivalent capacitance. The example I have read so far, have few (5) or less capacitors, with capacitor relationship very obvious to a beginner like myself. My homework problems have more than 5 with lines going all kind of ways (clearly made this way to confuse us). How do I read the lines or diagram of complex circuit correctly. I thought I understood junctions splits of the circuit diagram. But I keep getting major errors.
    Please help. Thank you much. Sincerely.

2. n9xv

Jan 18, 2005
    Try to draw a rough example that we could work from to show "different" connections.

3. pavelari

Jan 11, 2006
    i can't understand your question very well but i think, you need from substitute diagrams like:

/c1, 1 μ F, 24v/ and /c2, 2 μ F, 24v/, series is equal to one capacitor /c, 1 μ F, 48v/
    in parallel /c, 3 μ F, 24V/

principe: in paralel voltage is the lowest in series the capacitet is the lowest
    in paralel sum the capacitet in series sum voltage

4. alim

Dec 27, 2005
    What you have most likely is a series prallel circuit. identify the parallel circuit/s solve it/them and solve for a series cct. with resultant parallel value/s in place.

5. pavelari

Jan 11, 2006
    send to me a principal cct and what you want to know ...

6. amyy22

Jan 31, 2006
    anyone know the name given to a circuit that has a load or resistance total of 0.0 ohms?

7. amyy22

Jan 31, 2006
    ^^ please and thank you. :D

8. chesart1

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi,

Like others have said, the actual circuit presented in the problem would help.

Here are a few ideas:

If your circuit or any portion of it resembles a wheatstone bridge, you could use the bridge formulae found in your text book.

Likewise, if a portion of the circuit resembles a T network or a PI network, you could use the corresponding formulae from your textbook.

John

9. DC2002

Jan 24, 2008
    Hmm , assuming that there are no simple series or parallel combinations that could be solved with the series,// formulas. like a bridge circuit made only of capacitors , you could give the circuit an operating frequency and then find the capacitive reactance (Xc=1/(2piFC) ) then use the delta to wye (pi to t) conversions ... solve for an equivalent reactance , then use the Xc=1/(2piFC) to find the C , I guess
    hope it helps
    DC

10. jvjtech

Jan 26, 2008