decals for volume pots ?

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by CD-RW, Jun 25, 2011.

1. CD-RW

Thread Starter Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I need some volume control decals for rotary pots on a mixer front panel. Is there somewhere I can get these please?

Something like the model airplane transfers would be OK.

I've done a Google image search, but cannot find anything suitable at all.

Here's an example image of the sort of thing I'm looking for. I just need the decal without the pot and control knob. Maybe it's possible to get a rectangular panel with 4 or more dials like this printed on it, and the holes drilled in place?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Some hobby stores that have lots of models, will have decal transfer paper that can be printed on with a computer printer.

Roll your own. :)

I don't remember if Hobby Lobby stocks it or not, but some web searching will reveal all

3. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Another thing you might try is printing on wax paper and doing an 'iron on' type transfer, like many others here have done with circuit boards. Use some good clear acrylic spray paint on the part after the toner is ironed/applied to it..

PS: remember to print the image as a reversed mirror image(backwards numbers and letters)

4. CD-RW

Thread Starter Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks Kermit. Not heard about the wax paper thing before. Is this to create a stencil of some type, and then paint the numbers and lines onto the front panel?

What do others do about this. I'd be interested to know!

5. CD-RW

Thread Starter Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Possibly another way round might be to use OHP transparencies, and then print the decals onto this, and glue that to the front panel?

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Another trick I use is carpet tape. The stuff never lets go, and is two sided. There are also other 2 sided scotch tapes out there. Print your decal on paper or plastic (transparencies come to mind), put the tape on the bottom and you are good to go.

Paint has a major problem with it's 96DPI, you can see the pixels. Gimp will go the resolution of the printer, so it is much more suited for this. I usually draw in Paint (6X larger) then print with Gimp.

If you use a transparency put the graphics reversed on the inside of the plastic, where your fingers can't rub the ink off. The results are very professional.

I come from the era of Dynamo labelers (ugh!). Many modern labelers interface to the computer through the USB port, and will do special graphics. Wish I had had these resources when I was into models as a kid.

8. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
  9. CD-RW

Thread Starter Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks for all those replies so far. This is looking alot better than I expected. :)

Ideally, I would like to be able to design my own front panels with OS software running under Linux. I have Windows on 2 laptops, but would rather do this panel design on my main machine, which I'm on now :)

I guess sourceforge might be a cool place to check out some front panel designer software? I'll post my results whem I have found something suitable.

10. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    A personal favorite of mine is 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheets of label paper. As long at that is smaller then your "dashboard" then you can fit it all on 1 sheet. Lay out your panel in any program that can do 1 inch = 1 inch and just print it! Autocad works nice.

Print it early and often to try out your design.

Best if you use a laser printer for this, as most inkjets inks ain't water fast, but laser tends to be just black and white.

Best if you first back the sheet with a blank label, it gets the whites whiter.

And finally, best if you cover this thing over. I've used clear contact paper which isn't the best way, but still works. Self adhering laminate overlays are best but may still let water leak in the edges, a problem I have never solved. I never tried a clear coat over spray but have it on my list.

I have a test fixture here I did 10+ years ago that looks as good as any 10 year old fixture here. Maybe better!

11. CD-RW

Thread Starter Member

Feb 26, 2011
    A windows application is not a problem. I'm checking out my laptops with XP and Vista on right now. Front Designer looks very impressive.

http://www.mikmo.dk/synthpanels.html
    "FrontDesigner is realtively cheap i paid 40 Euros including shipping from Germany to Denmark (short distance). This is cheaper than one professionally made panel in the size i use. This program is VERY VERY good. except for a few problems with the way you work with text it's a brilliant program. The scale assistant used for designing potentiometer scales, is worth the price alone."

Are there any free alternatives like Front Designer for Windows please?