Dead Flyback Transformer/Driver

ben_the_riegel

Joined Nov 17, 2012
I have a flyback transformer that I got out of an old CRT monitor. And, since I had this, I decided to make a driver, and, eventually, a Jacob's Ladder. I decided to use the 2n3055 push pull flyback driver, as it would be at least somewhat better than using just the single transistor 2n3055 flyback driver, and the parts would be easier to get and put together in a short period of time (It was all put together last night, because I need it for a fall festival today). Once I had finished it last night, I hooked up 6 AA's in series for power. I put all the batteries in and... Voila! It worked! Even the arcs were not very big (I was only using 9 volts) it was still pretty cool. So after playing with it for a while, I put it up and went to bed (it was past 12:00). When I got up the next morning (today) I decided to try it with 12 volts. So I connected the positive and negative from a battery charger to their respective sides, turned on the charger at 2 amps, and... no arc. It would not arc no matter how close I put the two wires. I then thought uh oh... and so I put the 6 AA's back on, and... no arc. I am not sure what happened. The transistors couldn't have overheated as they were not hot at all, after the 6 AA's the first time (I was kind of surprised as I'd heard they tend to really heat up), or when I connected it to the battery charger. I am not sure what went wrong. But I am thinking it may have something to do with the electricity coming out of the battery charger not being 'true' DC? It is not a super-new battery charger, so that might have something to do with its lack of 'true' DC-nes. I have attached a .gif image of the schematic I used. So... any ideas what went wrong? I am thankful for any help any of you may give. If you need any more details, or if I have neglected to mention something, do not hesitate to inform me of my error.

Attachments

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I think you have answered your question. A battery charger is not a good choice for a powersupply, & would have instantly destroyed your transistors in that simple circuit.

ben_the_riegel

Joined Nov 17, 2012
Thanks Daryl! So it is just because it was not 'true' DC? Now, would it be okay if I used a computer power supply? Or do I need to have batteries?