De-evolution

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'm surprised they let people get that close. But that is the Carri bean for you.

It always scared the heck out of me to fly into St. Thomas. Short runway right off the ocean.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
When my mother was 80 years old she said about her neighbors, "I though by the time I got this to this age, nature would have weeded out the stupid ones. I was wrong".

That got me to thinking. In the modern world, very few people get taken out by lions and tigers and bears (oh my!). I was wondering if and when and how that niche in nature was going to be filled. Now I see. Don't worry. The humans can do it for themselves.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
When my mother was 80 years old she said about her neighbors, "I though by the time I got this to this age, nature would have weeded out the stupid ones. I was wrong".

That got me to thinking. In the modern world, very few people get taken out by lions and tigers and bears (oh my!). I was wondering if and when and how that niche in nature was going to be filled. Now I see. Don't worry. The humans can do it for themselves.
Nah grandma just got a pre screening of Idiocracy. If you haven't seen this movie its a must for all people with an IQ over 110. It basically highlights whats gonna happen to our society since we've weeded out natural selection for humans and in fact did the opposite by rewarding those who have kids for money purposes and are just plain dumb and don't wear condoms. But basically it shows the world in 2535 when stupidity is the norm and smart people are looked at as stupid. Some great lines from the movie are:

Don't worry my ex-wifes a retard (They call him a retard because of the way he talks), shes a pilot now, its all good.

Carls Jr has declared you an unfit mother and is taking custody of your children, your children are now the property of Carls Jr.

All Starbucks are brothels and stripclubs with options of Latte $2, Half Latte $5, Full Latte $1000.

The president is an ex pro wrestler named Kamacho.

Its got electrolytes, its what plants crave.

Water? Like out of the toilet?

My names Upgradde with 2 D's for my double dose of pimpin!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
you can read my thoughts on the topic here. It's a little essay I wrote a while back. I didn't post it here on AAC because it's not nice, and this is a nice site.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Site won't let you in unless you register.
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that. Well here you go:
strantor said:
The Idiocracy Theorem
By Charles Staton
Has anybody else recognized a trend of society becoming less and less intelligent? I have, and I have a theory for why. Under the guise of ascension to a new apex of civility and altruism, we have created the first DEvolution of a species that I’m aware of. A manufactured aberration of evolution that, if allowed to continue unchecked, will result in a catastrophic naturally occurring corrective action.

Intelligent people generally aren't attracted to stupid people, so stupid people usually mate with other stupid people, resulting in stupid offspring. In the "real (dog eat dog) world" and in an environment where fitness is measured in brain cells and not muscle fibers, stupid people would naturally be "weak" and would be discouraged from procreating by the fact that they don't possess & can't learn skills that would enable them to support their stupid offspring. However, in our society, we subsidize the progeny of the stupid with welfare, so stupid people are free to breed with reckless abandon.

Intelligent people however put off procreating until it is financially responsible to do so, so in that “late start” respect alone they prone to reproduce less. In the absence of the promise of subsidy, they also tend to have only as many children as they know that their paychecks can comfortably support. Under the burden of the exponentially growing number of stupid supportees, the intelligent supporters find that the number of their own children which these paychecks can comfortably support is shrinking, so they have fewer and fewer intelligent children. The number of intelligent individuals is not only shrinking in contrast to the explosion of stupid, it is also shrinking in value, in real numbers. Stupid is becoming the norm & intelligence is becoming extinct at an alarming rate.

So what happens when the stupid weed takes over the flower bed and completely chokes out the intelligent flower? Well, I don’t think it will ever get to that point because the natural corrective action event will have already taken place by that time. A turning point is approaching, where there will be an insufficient number of intelligent people left to continue making the world go round, and the stupid bubble will implode on itself. Like maggots, when the carcass can no longer sustain them, they will turn on each other and survival of the fittest will once again reign supreme. Nature will balance itself out, and the cycle will repeat. Hopefully, the intelligent ones will have the foresight to place themselves in positions where they will easily fall into leadership roles toward the end of the event, or else humanity will go through a long and awkward puberty as the rightful leaders percolate up to the top. My confidence in their foresight however, is shaky at best; after all, they didn't have the foresight to stop it from happening in the first place. However unintentional, they selectively bred this stupid species themselves.

This essay was inspired by 6 years of pondering the movie Idiocracy, while observing society and looking back on previous events in human history. Obviously, Idiocracy was a joke, but there was a deliberately hidden grain of truth in every aspect of the movie. It is these subtle truths which I choose to focus on, not the humor. I share Mike Judge’s observation that society as a whole is becoming retarded, and the reasons behind it, but where we differ is our predictions of the future. Having looked at all the societies that have risen and fallen, or worse, fallen extinct, I cannot concur with his prediction of a functioning stupid empire.

Reading this essay, you may be thinking that the situation that I describe is not as dire as I describe it. You may construe it as a veiled attack on welfare recipients; I assure you, it is an attack on stupidity, and is aimed at an accelerating target. The problem may not strongly manifest itself to you now, but by the time it does, it will be too late. Should you disagree with anything I’ve said, I encourage feedback; Discussion is healthy. You are free to quote welfare or any other statistics, but I would challenge you to combat the content of this essay on the premise of which it is written and not on some preconceived notion you may hold about my political affiliation; this has nothing to do with politics, but everything to do with the future of our society. Don’t result to hurling petty contrivances at me – I neither said nor implied that every person on welfare is stupid or vice versa.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
The article is very, very biased. The first couple of lines put me off straight away.

Firstly, what evidence is there to support humanity beginning 'dummer'?
Second, the theory of evolution does not at all work in that way.
Third, the article has a very biased tone. Rather than persuade the audience towards your view, you seem to suggest that the audience is wrong if they disagree.

I wonder...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
put me off straight away.
Yeah that's why I didn't post it here initially. I should have stuck to the plan.

To be clear, this was a satirical opinion piece. Apparently my words were misleadingly presented as fact. That was not my intent; I thought the caricature was obvious, but obviously not. I used the word 'theory' when I should have used 'hypothesis' (at best). I was thinking more along the lines of society's definition of 'theory' - which is pretty much synonymous with 'opinion' and not science's definition of 'theory'.

My feelings on the matter & my outlook on life tend to shift as my mood shifts. Some of the things I said there, I don't even agree with today (but most I still do). So yes, feel free to disagree; I'm not going to rebut. All I can say is you really should (everyone should) watch idiocracy, and after you do, I suspect you might think more along my lines. If not, then that's fine.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The article is very, very biased. The first couple of lines put me off straight away.

Firstly, what evidence is there to support humanity beginning 'dummer'?
Our latest generations test scores. Its well known fact that this is the dumbest generation to have ever lived. And if you know any kids 3-17 you'll know why. Even the 20 year olds are dumber as a whole. Text messaging and computers have handicapped our kids. I not only support the idiocracy theory but I see evidence of it every day from my friends kids getting high and popping pills, then turning around and posting it on youtube? How stupid can you be? To our elected officials that can barely communicate and make up their own words.The world is most certainly getting dumber and with social assistance there is no more natural selection in humanity. Nor will the smartest richest person have the most offspring, which is how evolution works. We have a whole class of people who have kids strictly because they get paid by the gov. to do so. Tax season makes me so mad when I see friends with kids that barely paid any taxes get $10,000 and $15,000 tax returns.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Erm, I'm actually 17.
So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

You seem to base your ideas around two main points.

Some 'test' scores. What test? For people who seem to be on a very high horse, you seem to make some very childish errors when it comes to making points.

Second, you mention seeing young people taking drugs and posting stupid videos on YouTube. What about the millions which haven't posted stupid videos because they haven't done something stupid/posted it?

It truly amazes me that sometimes very clever people can take such an - odd - view on things. Results must be looked upon closely and cross examinded to the point of death, especially with regards to social issues, because they much harder to put down into cold hard maths.

Akin to observing the sun rise in the east and set in the West, and drawing the conclusion that it must be the sun which revolves around the earth.

Which most of us would say is false. :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Gentlemen, be nice.

I like Heinlein's point of view, bad times for the individual are good times for the race.

Evolution takes a very long time to work with a species whose reproduction cycle is almost 20 years, it took a long time to get here, and times are not that easy. The current crop of people determined that inoculations are bogus and other similar practices are going to have their effect eventually, not to mention drivers and other routine but hazardous hobbies.

Even if immortality were invented tomorrow, it is estimated the average life span would be around 700-800 years, something will always get you eventually.

If you haven't read Robert A Heinlein's work, I strongly recommend it. Some of it is very dated, but he had the human condition down pat.