DE-9 pinout?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by PRS, Aug 31, 2010.

1. PRS

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hello, I'm an experimenter and I want to use a serial port. I have one with a 9-pin connector. I also have a diagram showing the pins and their names, but I'm not sure this pinout is looking from the back or toward the front of the connector. As I understand it, when looking at the connector coming out of the computer pin 1 is upper left, but is it really upper right?

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    This it it.
    Edit: Do not pay attention to not used info. I just posted this to give you the correct numbering and name
    [​IMG]

PRS likes this.
  3. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    All the connectors I've seen have actually got the pin numbers imprinted on the plastic next to the pins/holes. I suppose some might not have them.

4. DonQ

May 6, 2009
    Then numbers are usually there, but they're small. They are also often just a shallow embossing. That makes it tough to see, even for young eyes. So look with a magnifier and you'll probably see that at least then pins/sockets on the ends are numbered.

Also, if you have the female version of the plug, be sure to mirror image the numbering in the drawing above.

5. PRS

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Thanks for the info. The drawing says it all! ;)