DDS generator with PICs

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by atferrari, May 29, 2006.

1. atferrari

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Two sinewave generators, each one implemented with a PIC 16F84A, its own keypad and the output via PORTB, going to an R-2R network. A 4 pole filter completes the circuit. Both driven by a common 4 MHz clock and both running EXACTLY the same software.

In each generator, following the principle of of DDS, one value, PHASE_INC (3-bytes), is repetitively added to a PHASE_ACCUMULATOR (3-bytes as well). The bits b6:b0 of the accumulator's MSB are used to read a look up table with sine values from 1 to 128 and b7 of that MSB is used to know when to calculate the complement.

To change the frequency, withs keys "FREQ-UP" and "FREQ_UP", I can increase / decrease PHASE_INC value in unitary steps (yes, one unit at a time).

Everything works as expected except one thing: If I vary PHASE_INC in one of them to any axtent and then try to bring it to its original frequency by increasing / decreasing PHASE_INC, it is close to impossible getting the orginal value again, albeit VERY VERY close.

Just in case, please note:

a - Both generators , independently checked proved to be stable enough in the long term. They start with the same PHASE_INC value, thus their frequencies match each other 100% and stay like that forever. That's the reason for the common clock and it works OK.

b - According to theory, using UNITARY steps, sooner or later I should get again the PHASE_INC initial value where I started from, that is the initial frequency (mathcing again the other generator). In software I included enough delays to make the unitary changes of PHASE_INC painfully SLOW ensuring to have a smooth control of the changes. Simulation shows that PHASE_INC is increased/decreased by one, every time. (?)

c - I have an option, via keypad where I can change the PHASE_INC to different fixed values. Doing that to both generators, I get again matching (and stable) frequencies at the output. It's the up / down thing that ruins everything.

Please, can anyone tell me if I am overlooking something too obvious regarding the DDS principle, considering that the problem shows up only when I change one of them whether Up or Down.

Help really appreciated. (I wish I could explain this in a shorter text!! - Sorry)