dc voltage regulation

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by rustysage, Nov 23, 2010.

1. rustysage

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 23, 2010
    i need to build a high amp (150 -300) low voltage , either or 12-48 volt regulator i have 3 different motors i want to generate power with either from wind or other sorces

2. iONic

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 16, 2007
    What type and specifications are these motors?

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    An amp? To amplify what? Don't say power! :rolleyes:

4. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    I had interpreted the post to mean AMPERAGE by his use of the word amps.

I'll also echo the previous question. What kind of motors are you using?

rustysage likes this.
  5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    12V @ 150A = 1.8kW
    12V @ 300A = 2.6kW

48V @ 150A = 7.2kW
    48V @ 300A = 14.4 kW

A single circuit to handle loads from 2-14 kW with a factor of 4 range of input voltage ranges, and a factor of 2 extremely high current needs, while staying semi-efficient at all ratings, is going to be close to unobtainium.

rustysage likes this.
  6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    definitely alternators..
    good luck driving them

7. rustysage

Nov 23, 2010
    i see your point guys and thank you what i have is a motor 48v 10 hp i wanted to use as a generator roughly 7500 watts but i need a way to regulate the voltage keep it 48v and it is app. 156 amps .if i regulate it as a 12 volt its over 600 amps

8. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Can you not regulate the speed at which it turns? The output of a DC motor used as a generator is "regulated" by its construction (windings, wire gauge, etc.) and the speed at which it turns. That's about it. To some degree you can regulate the output after it leaves the generator, but I sense that is not what you're asking. Don't confuse power draw as a motor with the amount of power you'll get out when turning it as a generator.

An alternator does allow some control, since the magnetic field strength can be controlled by the degree of power to the field windings.

rustysage likes this.
  9. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Does this DC motor you speak of have permanent magnets for the field, or magnet wire windings?

Does it have brushes and a commutator on the rotor, or magnets on the rotor?

If both the rotor and field are wound, you could separate the two electrically; and control the output voltage of the field windings by a much smaller current flowing through the rotor.

rustysage likes this.
  10. rustysage

Nov 23, 2010
    i have 2 motors in mind the 1st is a generec harley generator old style i have it mounted as a wind gen. and its output voltage goes beyond 27volts so it needs a regulator the other has magnets on the rotor and windings on the housing its rated at 48 volts 10 hp and hasnt been tested for speed yet,comutator and brushes its like a giant alternator,i didnt get any paper work on it and im not an electrician so like u say it could be internally regulated regardless of the rpm's as long as they arent to high or to low. my thought also was attaching it to an independent gas engine .......im trying to make a charger for a large battery bank,4 or 8 batteries

11. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    The electronics required to regulate it as a wind generator would be much more complex than the one required to regulate it on a steady power source like a gas engine.