DC To DC Voltage Amplifier

ScarEye

Joined Nov 24, 2006
Guys,

I don't know if there is a quick circuit that can help me achieve this, basically I have a power wire I am getting 5VDC and I would like to have a adjustable circuit that will allow me to up the voltage from 5VDC up to 12VDC. Is this possible does anyone have a schematic that would help me ?

Thanks In Advance
ScarEye

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
What you are looking for is called a "DC to DC converter." Specifically, you want a "boost converter." A quick internet search with those terms should yeild both theory and some sample circuits. If not, check a library for Power Supplies Switching Regulators, Inverters, and Converters by Irving Gottlieb.

ScarEye

Joined Nov 24, 2006
Yea, I was searching using those terms, but I could not find any schematics. I guess I will look harder.

Thanks
ScarEye

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you go to the websites of manufacturers of SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) controller chips you will be inundated with datasheets, schematics, and application notes.

www.onsemi.co
www.national.com
www.linear.com

From the Linear Technology website you can download a copy of LTSpice/Switcher Cad III which will ask you for input voltage output voltage and output current. Then is will give you a choice of controller chips(theirs - of course) and from there you can print the schematic and simulate it! It's hard to go wrong with this approach.