DC to DC Isolation

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Fuzzy54, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Fuzzy54

Thread Starter Member

Jun 9, 2006
    How do DC to DC converter provide isolation? Do they really convert the DC input to AC and then use an isolation transformer, or is there a trick that I am missing.

Basically I am trying to isolate 24V but this does not need to be regulated so I was hoping to save space by only using the isolation portion of a DC to DC converter.

Any thoughts

2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    You got the idea right. There is a transformer so DC to AC transformer AC to DC

3. pilko

Dec 8, 2008
    Isolation may also be acheived using an opto coupler, depending on your application.

4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
  5. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Depending on your power and input \ output voltage requirements you can obtain a quite small footprint off-the-shelf.

For instance see this DC/DC converter series data sheet as an example. There would be equivalent alternatives from other manufacturers ...

http://www.murata-ps.com/data/power/ncl/kdc_nmh.pdf

6. Fuzzy54

Thread Starter Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I need an isolated power solution. I would just use a small DC to DC converter but they tend to get rather large for the 200 to 300W that I need.

It seems that optocouplers are really just an isolated switch so say a micro controller could control a non isolated signal, correct?

7. pilko

Dec 8, 2008
    Optocouplers come in many types. they can be AC or DC and can be used to couple/isolate analog or digital signals.