DC to AC inverter input capacitor question

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The last time I checked this, the answer was that selecting a higher voltage than necessary increases the lifetime of the capacitor up to twice the applied voltage. Choosing a capacitor voltage rating more than 2X the actual voltage does not cause any more improvement in lifespan. That was probably less than 2 years ago.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
My capacitor re-former was originally designed for measuring high voltage zeners - if I described its workings, that would be the end of the thread.
Can you seriously believe that? We have here an issue as volatile as any other. Problem is, no actual support has been offered for the original statement, other than anecdotal assertions, which in my book carry very little weight.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Can you seriously believe that? We have here an issue as volatile as any other. Problem is, no actual support has been offered for the original statement, other than anecdotal assertions, which in my book carry very little weight.
If you're *THAT* determined to start a flame war, may I suggest you try a forum I don't use?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You can suggest anything you like. That is your right and privilege. Do you really expect that everything you say will be accepted without question?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
If you're *THAT* determined to assert your position, post a link to the supporting document(s).
So when exactly did an anecdote become a "position"?

It may not be immediately obvious - but you're backing someone who's taken a completely unprovoked swipe at me in at least 2 threads (that I've counted (found) so far).

Joined Nov 30, 2010
OK. So it's an anecdote...with nothing to support its veracity.
Good to know that. I'll be more careful in watching for the difference between anecdotes and statements of fact on this website.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
Agreed; and that goes double for electrolytics that have been in storage, unpowered, a long time.

Looking through my junk box, I see a Sprague 1500uF, 63V electrolytic that was manufactured back in 1978, when Jimmy Carter was president. It's never been used, never had any voltage applied to it. I wonder if it's any good...
it just might, aperently there was a problem with when the japanese copied our electrolytics, then the koreans, now the chinese, each one made them a little cheaper, now they dont last as long as they used to. I have seen many caps exposed to heat when the fans failed, usually ledaking out the bottom, and a lot that just slowly fade in capacitance too. the low voltage thing is related more to shelf life.