DC to AC Inverter - Build or Buy?

Joster

Joined Jun 12, 2013
Hi All,

I have seen many schematics of inverters, I assume mostly non-sinusoidal, and I would think I could do this significantly cheaper than buying one. All I need is a 60Hz square wave, power section, and transformer. I figure I could build any size I require simply by using the right amount of say, parallel MOSFETS and a suitable transformer. The FET's aren't too expensive and I have tons of salvaged transformers.

Also, about pure sine wave inverters. Could I not simply feed the power section with a 60Hz sine wave instead of a square wave? As long as I preserve the conditions for faithful amplification I should be ok or perhaps I'm missing something?

Or should I just stop here and buy one?

Thanks for you help!

J.

KirkMc

Joined Jun 12, 2013
you did not state the amplitude of your square wave. if it is line voltage try an H bridge on a stack of batteries. That has low source impedance. Add some inductance in series to help soften the square waves. Normal transformer gear doesn't like the high frequencies in a square wave.

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
Buy! This is one of those things that looks easy - until you try it.

Two rules:-

• You get what you pay for. A good inverter will cost serious money.
  • Don't even think of getting more than 300 - 400W from a 12V battery.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Could I not simply feed the power section with a 60Hz sine wave instead of a square wave? As long as I preserve the conditions for faithful amplification I should be ok or perhaps I'm missing something?

Or should I just stop here and buy one?
This will be a moot point since you decided to buy an inverter.

You would lose power when changing from a square wave to a sine wave since the maximum amplitude of the sine wave would be the same as the square wave. The power lost would be the difference between the 2 waves. And, as it was pointed out, a square wave would heat a transformer more than a sine wave would.