dc ripple

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Neil Groves, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Neil Groves

Thread Starter Member

Sep 14, 2011
    ok i nearly finished my project and i took it off the bench power supply and attached a 9v wall wart to power it and now i have a volt or so of ripple which is upsetting the circuit, i thought a power pack that you plug in the wall gave a smooth regulated DC voltage to power projects?

how do i cure this?

Neil.

2. luvv

May 26, 2011
    Wall warts are often just a step down transformer,diode bridge and if you are lucky a small capacitor.

Are you using decoupling capacitors on the IC(s) in your project?

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A linear regulator would probably help, or even a simple zener regulator.

What is the voltage and current you need, and what is the voltage your wall wart is providing?

Wall Wart come in all flavors, there are no standards. Some are simple AC transformers, while others are advanced SMPS with advanced protections. Most are simple basic power supplies, a transformer, fuse, diodes, and a capacitor.

It is easily solved though, regulators are easy to implement, zeners even more so.

Basic Bench Top Power Supplies

4. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    You may be able to help your project simply by installing a high uF cap across the incoming DC power. Observe proper polarity on the cap and get one rated at least 50% voltage rating than your wal-wart..

5. Neil Groves

Thread Starter Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Tried that Bill to no avail....will throw the output of the wall wart through a linear reg and see what happens.

thanks guys.

Neil.

6. Neil Groves

Thread Starter Member

Sep 14, 2011
    No decouplers since i thought the output of the wallwart would be smooth and ready to feed directly into the circuit.

Neil.

7. luvv

May 26, 2011
    Using decoupling caps are always a good idea whenever you have sensitive IC(s).
    Even if you don't have room for a parallel electrolytic and ceramic,a tiny .1 ceramic can make a world of difference in reliability.

So far as wall wart power supplies go,I quit using them for projects and switched to "ITE" power supplies.

They are the ones used for things like computer equipment,printers and such.
    They are normally rated for more current and have spot on voltage quotes.

8. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    Toss the wall wart!

Why fight with poorly regulated crud to start with?

I hate those things, life is too short to make pie from poo.

Buy or find a nice regulated switcher- from some discarded piece of gear?

#12 likes this.
  9. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    You can also buy wall warts with regulated outputs, which should have very little ripple.

10. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    BUY wall warts ????? when stores throw them out by the wheelbarrow load ??
    Just pickin' on ya !! :D

11. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Post your voltage and current requirements and the rating on the wallwart.

You can get DC regulated power adapters to suit just about any need. 5VDC@3A is quite common.

12. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    What stores throw them out and why? :confused:

13. Neil Groves

Thread Starter Member

Sep 14, 2011
    is there a simple circuit to remove the crud from the supply? i have a 12v wallwart rated at 300ma, i need 9v at around 50ma.

Neil.

14. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    #12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I couldn't top what OtherPeople said so I clicked a couple of, "Thanks".
    I don't know which stores throw wall warts away but, my nephew brings them from the flea market and garage sales for 50 cents each...or sometimes free. I have so many I sorted them into 4 boxes: 3.3V, 5V, 12V, and "none of the above". Then I told him to quit using my house for a storage shed.

16. Neil Groves

Thread Starter Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I used an LM317 as my power input and the ripple was STILL an issue, so i tried another wallwart and all is fine, i will throw the old wallwart in the garbage where it belongs.

thanks for your help people.

Neil.