dc pulsed transformer

wes

Joined Aug 24, 2007
ok now i know that a alternating magnetic field is used in a transformer but can you use like a transformer that is pulsed in say only one direction so like only positive on one side and only negative on the other. if you could then would you have a dc secondary only and no ac transformer. the reason i thought you might be able to is because when it is pulsed the voltage would rise and then fall and then the voltage would rise and so on and on the secondary the same thing would happen.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You could. But then you would only get about half the power output as you would if the input were AC, so you'd need a much larger transformer to get the same power output. Better to use an "H" bridge to get AC input.

wes

Joined Aug 24, 2007
ok well i had another question then, so when the voltage drops or the power is turned off for that short time , there would be a voltage spike wouldnt there and would this cause some sort of problem with the primary like when you turn the power back on would the current be higher then it was before like in normal transformer's when there is a load or would the current be at what ever lvl you had by using a resistor to limit it or something, i think it would but i just wanted to make sure