DC power sockets - how many amps can they take?

MattP

Joined May 21, 2012
I'm after a panel-mount power connector for a project. The project draws around 10A, so I'm having trouble finding a power socket type that's rated for this amount of current. As I'm going to be sharing the project online as a how-to guide, the sockets need to be really easy to find, which limits my choice further still.

Here's the closest I've found so far:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pin-Pan...3?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET

The problem is that it's rated for a mere 3A, so isn't technically usable....

So does anyone have any suggestions as to which socket I should look in to getting? I've used RC connectors in the past, but they're unfortunately not able to be panel mounted.

It doesn't have to be specifically a power socket, but just something that can handle the current.

Thanks!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What voltage are we looking at?
Have you looked at the RV/Trailer type sockets, they usually come in bulkhead type also.
Max.

MattP

Joined May 21, 2012
Hi Max, the voltage will be 15v.

Just had a look at rv sockets (pollak sockets?), and it seems they're pretty expensive and quite large, so I'm not sure they're suitable.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Run down to the local electricians supply house. They will have the most available and cheapest (per amp) connectors in the neighborhood.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I like Anderson Power Poles. I have so many of them I should have bought stock in the company... Every Ham rig I own, first thing, cutoff the Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom proprietary connector, ditch it, and replace with red/black powerPoles. They can be used as a through-bulkhead, captive connectors. You can assemble them with many contacts, and polarize them so you cannot mix up different cables, if desired.