DC positive, negative question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jludwig83, Aug 24, 2013.

1. jludwig83

Thread Starter Member

Jul 22, 2013
    hello,
    I would like to know without trying this if having the positive line from one power source connect with the negative from another power source will that cause a direct short even though the other half of the connection is not completed

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Not necessarily, in the general sense you can common up either plus or minus rail to either of another, as long as the other respective rails do not come in contact.
    Max.

3. jludwig83

Thread Starter Member

Jul 22, 2013
    ok thanks for the quick answer..... I am going to power this up and see what happens really wish I could explain what I am doing this is really neat

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Yes, a picture always helps!
    Max.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Think: 2 batteries. Connect a negative to a positive and you get twice the voltage available. That circuit can be used as if the connection was "ground" and you have a negative supply and a positive supply, or, you can think of the most negative point as one important point, and the most positive end as the other. You have 2 open ends and a center to use as you wish, but no current will flow until you connect something more than one point.

6. jludwig83

Thread Starter Member

Jul 22, 2013
    IT WORKS!!!! ok I have successfully rebuilt a world clock with 15 slave clocks this set up is a engineering master piece..... if I say so myself ...........I will post a video later I want to thank everyone who helped me complete this project

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013