DC on ouput equal to power supply on uA741 power amplifier

DJ Fahed 1

Joined Sep 1, 2016
Hi all,

I have 10 units of the uA741 opamps, and I made a simple amplifier circuit with a power supply of 0 and +5V, and a gain equal to 2. No matter what the input signal is, the output is always equal to 5V.

I don't know what am I doing wrong, or could it be that all the opamps are bad?

The circuit works as it should be when using LM358P.

Any help is appreciated.:)

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Two points:

First, a 741 op amp cannot operate on a total supply voltage of only 5 volts. It simply will not function, at least not in any usable fashion. Use an op amp designed to operate on low voltages, and consult the op amp data sheet for the details. Pay particular attention to input common mode range and output voltage range and make sure your circuit complies with those limits. In many cases, operating on only a 5 volt supply will require use of a rail-to-rail I/O op amp which can function with its inputs and outputs at any voltage between the voltages on the (+) and (-) supply terminals.

And second, no one here can give you ANY meaningful help until you post a complete, accurate schematic diagram of your circuit showing all components and their values and connections. Until you do that, we would be just guessing based on zero information.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi all,

I have 10 units of the uA741 opamps, and I made a simple amplifier circuit with a power supply of 0 and +5V, and a gain equal to 2. No matter what the input signal is, the output is always equal to 5V.

Look at the limitations for V in for the LM741. Running at 5 V doesn't give you much room to operate. It may not see an input voltage within 3 V of the low power rail or the high power rail. So at 5 V it probably won't recognize an input at all.
lm358, or other newer op amp, is much better.

Last edited:

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 823.PNG
Hi all,

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Look at the limitations for V in for the LM741. Running at 5 V doesn't give you much room to operate.
Look again, running at 5V doesn´t give it ANY room to operate, as the minimum recommended supply voltage is a dual supply of +/-10V, or a single supply of 20V.