DC Motor with only one brush?

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
It's a Craftsman 20 Volt Drill, Model 900.16496.

I actually have 2 of them, and they don't work.

I took one motor apart, and I only see one brush.

The commutator ring was real dirty also.

Has anyone seen a motor like this?

With a bright light, I looked inside motor # 2, and it appears to be the same design.

Hope my pictures are clear enough.

Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Are you sure it is not a replulsion induction motor? On these the brushes are not always at 180° but can be 90° or there abouts.
Is this a 20v AC or DC cordless?
Max.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
A second brush at 90 degrees would make sense, that would match the geometry of what I'm seeing.
However, if that's the case, then the 2nd brush is missing, and, it was mounted to the end of it's lead differently.
Looking at photo 146, I can almost imagine what the brush may have looked like.

And, if it's a design flaw, that would explain why both of them look the same way.

Thanks for the feedback.
Gary

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Max,
It says 20v max DC.

Where might I find a site that shows small DC motor designs?

Just curious
Thanks,
Gary

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I'd bet if you look farther inside you'll find more brushes. With only 3 commutator segments, that's probably the "tach" output to the variable speed trigger chip.

After looking at the manual for this model, you sure it doesn't have a BLDC (brushless dc) motor?
Some of the new ones with that type short body, do have BLDC motors.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Your upper brush is missing. I have a number of the craftsman cordless tools and I have had a few apart to clean out, after dropping them in places they shouldn't have ever went, and they all had similar motors but with two brushes.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Ok if you look at your pics again you will see the 2 copper colored tabs .. They hold the brushes in place 180 degrees from each other and keep pressure on the brushes.. But it looks like one brush came out as the bottom should look like the top half..

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
The motor seen in Shortbus link is it.

I expected to see 2 brushes, but saw only one.
There is a prong on the opposite side f the one brush that looks like it might have held a brush at one time, but now it's just a bare copper prong that almost touches the commutator.

Both drills look identical, and I took the "sealed" end off one of them to take the photos.

They both look as though they have had heavy use, so I'm guessing they would require a new "sealed" motor, and they aren't worth spending money on.

I'll just keep them for spare parts, the trigger, and chuck, etc.

Thanks for all he input.
Gary

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Can you make a set of brushes for it. If there is a starter/generator rebuilder in your area, they are purchasing from large brush manufacturers and buying brushes very cheap. Perhaps you can find something close and fabricate a decent fit. Just make sure the composition is correct.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Given the vast quantities of these drills that can be found for next to nothing on eBay I would just pick up a few more parts units and build a few good ones from them and call it good.

If you have two now two more should score you enough parts to make at lest one good drill, if not two, plus give you some good pieces to play with afterwards.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
How is he suppose to do that ???
If you look at the brush and have it in your hands, you can get an idea of how much carbon is used in the brush. You have to take into consideration the voltage and amperage being used but one can get a pretty good idea of the composition of materials used. Sometimes we have to experiment to get something that works when we can't find it in the marketplace anymore.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If two motors have failed in the same way then there's not much point duplicating the existing brush arrangement: something of better quality is called for if you want greater durability.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
The brushes are inside a small sealed motor.
I did take one apart enough to be able to clearly see that the carbon part on the brush was missing.
It was weird, it looked like the carbon was molded into a thru hole in the brass or copper arm of the brush assembly.

I didn't dig any further but perhaps I can make one motor work if I can remove the brush and arm, and mount it in the other drill.
I'll take a closer look later this week (when the weather permits).

I do have a few brushes (carbon) that I've salvaged, and some softer ones that I bought.
But I don't think I could make one fit this weird application.
Can they be glued to an arm? With Super Glue?

Thanks

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Not likely because superglue is not a conductor of electricity and the lateral forces are significant.