DC motor with feedback

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bassplayer142, Apr 19, 2010.

1. bassplayer142

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 2, 2007
    I am looking for a inexpensive small dc motor that has built in output feedback (optical encoder...etc). I don't wan't the control loop built in like a hobby servo, but instead the motor and encoder built in but seperate circuits. If there is no real low priced one, where could I find just a decent motor and feedback mechanism that I could make on my own. I am looking to implement both position and speed control on my own seperately. Thanks in advance.
  2. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    A quick Google gives some sites, eg:

Depending what you are trying to control and how accurate you need it to be, you may be better off with speed feedback from the motor (either back EMF or a tacho) and position feedback from the final drive or object being moved.

That avoids any problems with slop or backlash in the mechanics, but it's all down to the precision you need.
  3. kingdano

Apr 14, 2010
    if you want to get a great jump-start on your own design - i would strongly suggest buying a developers kit for the type of motor you are going to use.

these usually feature built in controllers for all-types of feedback and drive, and can save you a lot of time by allowing you to test various methods before selecting one.

here is one from infineon for a BLDC motor:

hope this helps
  4. bassplayer142

Jan 2, 2007
    Thanks for the links so far. I'm really looking to develop the controller myself using simulink with connection to a microcontroller. So I'm not really looking for a kit but rather a raw motor and raw feedback sensor. On a closer inspection I would probably use the tachometer method.

Thanks for the fast replies!
  5. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Look at The Electronic Goldmine, # G16468, gear train with optical detector, $ 14.95; #G17287, with encoder, $ 4.95.
  6. bassplayer142

Jan 2, 2007
    thanks again!