DC motor speed control

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by thunderbolt, Feb 22, 2010.

1. thunderbolt

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I recently purchased a Dayton blower 12 volt DC motor model 2C646. I had intentions of controlling the speed of the motor with a rheostat switch which was a old switch that controlled the speed of a blower fan in a automobile. After purchasing the blower I read that it was not to be used with a speed controller. My question is, is a rheostat switch and a speed controller the same thing? If it use the rheostat switch will it damage the motor? Thank you.
  2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    I would call customer support if it's on the information sheet. A quick Google search for your manufacturer and model number did not turn up anything conclusive.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you only operate it from 12v with no current limiting, nor PWM.
    thunderbolt likes this.
  3. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

Here you go sarge...... I get Dayton Motors from these guys all the time so I figured they would have this part >>>> http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2C646

Does not however say why they can not be used with speed controllers, the op will have to contact manufacturer to see why, but they do specifically say it is NOT to be used with speed controllers.....

B. Morse
  4. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    I'd searched for it already and found it in a number of places, including Grainger's site.

Nobody had a datasheet for the motor. It's a shaded pole 12v DC motor that draws 5.1A. I am not familiar with these particular motors, which is why I suggested that our OP contact the manufacturer directly for their recommendations.