DC Motor Slow Start

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by czars, May 11, 2013.

1. czars

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 9, 2009
    I want to run a small DC motor (6v @0.5A) from a 1 amp switching supply. However the motor starting current is too great for the supply. Does anyone know of an easy circuit that I can use to limit the motor starting current so that it will start and run on the switching supply?

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Does the switching supply not have current limiting?

3. cork_ie

Oct 8, 2011
    PWM may help - depends on the motor and what load is attched to it.

a Large capacitor in parallel with the switching supply would also help, it is worth a try

4. czars

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 9, 2009
    The supply seems to have fold-back current limiting. The supply cycles (voltage goes up and down) at about a 2 second rate when the motor is attached.

I'd like to come up with some kind of voltage ramp up circuit that could limit the current that the motor would receive.

Putting a large capacitor across the regulator output concerns me because a large capacitor generally has a low ESR and may still cause the supply to shut down.

5. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    You could try a high wattage low value resistor in a soft start circuit.

several 1 or 2 Ohm, 1 Watt resistors in series, or a single 5 or 6 Ohm, 5 watt resistor should work. The values are subject to change depending on how the motor reacts to them.

[​IMG]

aws505 likes this.
  6. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    An even simpler arrangement that avoids any momentary disconnect through the switch.

[​IMG]

7. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    How about an electronic current-limiting circuit? Depending on how much voltage drop you can tolerate, you might get by without an op amp, though if you only have 5V to play with, maybe a circuit with an amplifier would be best.

8. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
  9. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    SlowStartStop.gif

That's a really easy way to make a slow start for a motor.
    (I hope the attachment shows up)

Bascially you use a transistor to drive the motor . The base is biased by a potential divider made by a resistor and a capacitor. When you power it up , the base will be at 0volts because the capacitor is empty , it starts charging up through the resistor and base voltage starts climbing and your motor gets a soft start .
    If you are looking at the picture , it doesn't have to be a darlington imo.

10. edwardholmes91

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm a little confused with the switch, is it just a standard SPST? I've never seen that symbol before.

11. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    I've never seen that symbol either, but I'm taking it as a SPDT slide switch, in this case wired to be a SPST.

12. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    If you are talking about the picture that I linked..

I have no idea , I think that it's just some push switch . I don't think it's important anyway