DC Motor Reverse with Timer

billgyrotech

Joined Nov 24, 2009
I have a small 12 vdc motor that drives some gears using a belt. I need to exercise the belt to ensure durability. I am applying 2.5 vdc for the intended speed and it draws about 0.03 amps. By switching the leads it switches directions. I would like a circuit to automate the process of switching directions at an adjustable amount of time.

Can someone please help? Thank you so much in advance for any help or suggestions.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Last edited:

billgyrotech

Joined Nov 24, 2009
You can do it with a 555 astable timer with a DPDT relay....

Alter the 68k Resistor and 10uF Capacitor combination for the desired time delay.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=555+astable+relay+circuit&biw=360&bih=512&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjil__dvvvPAhUlK8AKHQ2MAqkQ_AUIBSgB#imgrc=qNW1VyaVDgg0HM:

You can get a kit to make from any electronics supplier
...http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/555-astable-switch-kit-n33fl
Is there such a module available on amazon? I am sort of running out of time and need a fix.

Thank you

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I need to have the motor leads switched at an adjustable amount to time in order to do the cycling of the belt.
That timer should do that since is has a DPDT relay output.
You would connect it like this:
The diodes are to prevent arcing and relay contact erosion from the motor inductance.

upload_2016-11-3_9-52-39.png

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Do you want the motor to run for the same amount of time in each direction, or do you want the two directions to be independently adjustable?

Do you want the motor to run continuously while reversing, or do you want the motor to stop briefly before reversing?

There are tons of 555 timer modules with relay outputs on ebay. Some have built-in digital programming and a display for accuracy.

ak

billgyrotech

Joined Nov 24, 2009
Do you want the motor to run for the same amount of time in each direction, or do you want the two directions to be independently adjustable?

Do you want the motor to run continuously while reversing, or do you want the motor to stop briefly before reversing?

There are tons of 555 timer modules with relay outputs on ebay. Some have built-in digital programming and a display for accuracy.

ak
Good questions and sorry I should have been more precise. The same amount of time in each direction is fine (let's say from 2 to 60 seconds). As far as delay is concerned this is for a direction indicator with dynamic turning so I don't think there is much delay at all in the application. Would there have to be a delay to protect the motor or circuit?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Good questions and sorry I should have been more precise. The same amount of time in each direction is fine (let's say from 2 to 60 seconds). As far as delay is concerned this is for a direction indicator with dynamic turning so I don't think there is much delay at all in the application. Would there have to be a delay to protect the motor or circuit?
It depends somewhat on how fast the motor is running and how much inertia the system has.

billgyrotech

Joined Nov 24, 2009
Mr. Crutschow,

Referring to the circuit from your previous reply is there an amount of time that it switches? Does this need another timer to control it or can it be modified to allow for adjustment of time cycles?

Thank you

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Referring to the circuit from your previous reply is there an amount of time that it switches? Does this need another timer to control it or can it be modified to allow for adjustment of time cycles?
If using a switch to reverse directions works fine than the timer relay should also work with no modification.

The timer I referenced in Post #4 has separate adjustments for both the ON and OFF times.
You just hook the timer relay contacts up to the motor with the diodes as I showed in Post #6 and you should be good to go.

billgyrotech

Joined Nov 24, 2009
Post #6 is a circuit I can build right now but I would like (if possible), to have a way to alter the times with this circuit. We have all the parts necessary here to make this one.

I really appreciate your help.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Post #6 is a circuit I can build right now but I would like (if possible), to have a way to alter the times with this circuit. We have all the parts necessary here to make this one.
That circuit shows only the relay.
We seem to be going in circles here. :rolleyes:
You will need a timer, such as a 555 connected as an astable, to drive it.

billgyrotech

Joined Nov 24, 2009
That circuit shows only the relay.
We seem to be going in circles here. :rolleyes:
You will need a timer, such as a 555 connected as an astable, to drive it.
Okay I am apparently not understanding how this works. Sorry to be so much trouble. How can a 555 circuit be added to the #6 post please?

billgyrotech

Joined Nov 24, 2009
Thank you for finding that one. It seems more economical to purchase than to build.

I will check it out more thoroughly to see if it will work for me.

I am not sure how it makes the motor switch directions. Does it have a 2 pole switching?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Yes you can use the stepper driver pcb, but it needs the inputs connected together.

As for the timer pcb, it has one single pole relay, you could parallel another single pole relay across the coil, or remove the relay and replace it with a DPDT one