Dc motor generator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by stanman11, Mar 4, 2012.

1. stanman11

Thread Starter Member

Nov 23, 2010
    i'M trying to get a dc motor to un an LED.
    I seen on youtube you can connect the led to the motor and spin it to generator electricity and light it.
    Ive test 5 motors this way and non worked.
    ive even altered the motors but fried the battery some how

i thought copper coils and magnet and boom?

2. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    What kind of motors are you using? How are you connecting them to LEDs? Are you using current limit resistors for the LED? It all makes a difference as to how successful you are.

3. stanman11

Thread Starter Member

Nov 23, 2010
    dc motors from rc cars.
    and

copper coil wrapped around plastinc with 2 metal plates 1 on top, one on bottom with fingers that runs around the magnet. this is the most effective method as of yet.
    but only uses 1 coil for small led and makes to much noise

4. stanman11

Thread Starter Member

Nov 23, 2010
    i tried connecting them to the motor posts but nothing, tried using both posts as + and grounded the led and bat to the outer motor but nothing

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    The direction the motor is turning will make a difference on this. Turning in one direction will make a certain pin positive. Turning in the opposite direction will make the same pin negative. You have to figure out which pin is which for the led to light.

6. jimkeith

Oct 26, 2011
    A coworker once connected a small DC tachometer to a mouse wheel and connected the tach to an LED. The LED would flash on only occasionally when the mouse was really on a sprint.

7. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    A cheap old motor with brushes makes a DC generator.
    An expensive modern brushless motor does not.

8. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    How many wires on your motor? How about posting a picture of your motor and how you are connecting the LED.