DC motor feedback methods and options

dmta

Joined Mar 24, 2013
Hi all,

I am making a DC motor control board and want to add more than one motor feedback method to increase its usefulness. At the moment I have added the quadrature encoder option.

What are other popular methods ? Do people use stuff like 4-20mA current loops ?
What are other options that might be useful?

Regards

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Other options that I have seen used are 1) armature voltage feedback, 2) DC tachometer feedback (for bi-directional use), 3) AC tachometer feedback.

Some drives do use 4-20ma loops as an input to the drive to control velocity or a limited position range with appropriate feedback.

The key is that any feedback for motor control is used to reduce the command that caused the movement and must be compatible with the command or be modified to be compatible with the command.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
In addition to what bill said, I've seen prox's/namurs reading gear teeth as feedback; you might research these and see if they would work with you encoder input, or maybe with a slight modification. Also in some niche areas you will find 0-10v input from a pot.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Since the option you added is a quadrature feedback, are you also interested in shaft position? Quadrature feed back is one means of achieving that.