dc motor driver

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by JasonL, Oct 31, 2014.

1. JasonL

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 1, 2011
    I am using PWM from a micro-controller to drive a DC motor. I know how to design amplifiers: common emitter, common collector, common base. My problem is, I don't know how the motor will act as a load when I attach it to the final stage. I don't know much about DC motors. I am using http://www.pololu.com/product/2271 and I have a TIP142. My thought process is that, I should make a common emitter to amplify the PWM to 6V and feed it to a common collector to get the current needed to drive the motor. I'm not sure how to make the common collector since I don't think I can treat the motor as a simple resistor.

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    A reversible DC motor is normally driven with a H-bridge. Current goes through the motor in one direction for cw rotation and in the reverse direction for ccw rotation. So the PWM will control the average current and thus the torque. You do know that the faster the shaft rotates the less torque it produces -- right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_bridge

JasonL likes this.
  3. JasonL

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks Papabravo. I don't think I need to use an H-bridge. I am using PWM from a microcontroller to control the speed of the motor. I do not need direction control. The problem I am having right now is that I cannot power the motor directly from the microcontroller and I am trying to make an amplifier using a transistor to drive the motor.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
  5. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Or like this with the TIP. You will need a good sized heat sink. You could use a FET and get better performance.

JasonL likes this.
  6. JasonL

Jul 1, 2011
    thanks Papabravo, I will try the half bridge circuit with some time; I don't have the components now. Thanks Ronv, I got the circuit to work with those schematics.

7. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
  8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    The half bridge will offer braking if needed.
    Max.

shortbus likes this.
  9. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The half bridge provides active control of motor current. With a low side switch you rely on a passive component to reduce the current to zero, which may take longer. This may be important if you wish to use PWM.

shortbus likes this.
  10. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Thanks guys. Guess I've (in my ignorance) been lucky in just using a low side with PWM to control motor speed.

11. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    How is that different from a diode across the motor?

12. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    A freewheeling motor generates same polarity as supply.
    Max.