DC motor direction control with timed stops at each end.

Shawn.54

Joined Feb 18, 2016
I'm making a rocker that needs to move from a 45 degree angle to -45 degree angle with with a 3-6 hour stop on each end. I have a 12v 5rpm DC motor DC timer limit switches. What I lack is knowledge of electronics to hook it together safely. I have Seen different circuits but would like to see what was available. And what is best for my situation. Thanks Shawn

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The timer provides power to the motor, the limit switches change its direction, put the limit switches at each end of the travel.

Last edited:

Shawn.54

Joined Feb 18, 2016
Thinking the timer will energize circuit and use it to get position then go off for set time. Will latching relay hold position with no power during set time? Then when power comes continue to next limit switch? In mind at start of project this seemed simple now it's growing. Does not need to stop in exact 45 I will have it over traveling 5 to 10 degrees so as long as it stops just before or after switch it will do. Thanks again

Shawn.54

Joined Feb 18, 2016
Now I'm lost. What I need is to stop at the 45 -45 for a hut 3-5 hours each had a cam system to do it cut traveled slow and smooth 1 direction fast and rough the other was hoping to use cam and reverse motor s I could stay on slow and smooth side. Am I trying to get to much out of a relay?

Shawn.54

Joined Feb 18, 2016
My original plan was to use two timers hooked to same motor in reverse polarity and limit switch to stop at the angles needed then use diodes to prevent any back feed to timer that was not running. But I was told it wouldn't work. Any thoughts on that the two timers would operate 4 hours apart

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
So in your application, where the motor travels to one end, sits for 3 hours, then travels to the other end and sits for 3 hours, and repeats, do you see the timer being on for 3 hours and off for 3 hours? If yes, then you need one DPDT relay and two SPDT limit switches, one at each end of the travel. Power is applied constantly to the motor circuit. The only thing the timer controls is the relay. Program the timer for 3 hours on / 3 hours off / repeat.

Relay closed moves the motor in one direction.
At the end of its travel a limit switch removes motor power for that direction.
After three hours (minus the travel time) the relay opens.
Its NC contacts close to move the motor in the other direction.
At the end of its travel a limit switch removes its power.
After three hours (minus the travel time) the relay closes.
Repeat.

ak

Last edited: