DC motor control with Remote Garage door receiver

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by freyapilot, Dec 14, 2010.

1. freyapilot

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Hi All,

Looking for some direction for a project using either 2-3v dc motors or one dc motor and a reversing circuit.

End product needs to continuously rotate an object clockwise at about 10 rpm after button 1 of a garage door remote has been pressed and when button 2 is pressed the unit needs to rapidly rotate at least double the clockwise speed but anti-clockwise and only for approx 3 seconds.

I have the garage door receiver and transmitter unit. It has 2 latching relays. Press button 1 and first relay closes, press button 2 and first relay opens and second relay closes.

Not sure if this would be easier with 2 motors because of the high amperage draw from sudden reversing required on a single motor design.

Thoughts so far are to use a 555/6 for PWM speed control and the 3 second time function and to go with two motors.

I could power the reverse motor with full power and the forward motor via the PWM circuit.

When button 2 is pressed the 555 would trigger on and then off after 3 seconds cutting power to the reverse motor and resetting the timer.

All wet or could this work?

Would love help drawing up the schematic :)

2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    3V motors? Is this for Barbie's garage?

3. freyapilot

Dec 14, 2010
    They are Mabuchi motors rated 3-12vdc. Should have added that.

4. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    What are you trying to motorize with those toy motors?

5. freyapilot

Dec 14, 2010
    They are going to rotate a 6 inch plastic disc.

6. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    A six inch paper disk? How fast? Is there anything attached? What sort of torque do you need?

7. freyapilot

Dec 14, 2010
    Fastest they will rotate would be about 30 rpm. Pretty slow. They are geared and have 300 oz/in of torque. Way more than I need.
    The disc weighs about 1/2 pound.