DC motor control with Remote Garage door receiver

freyapilot

Joined Dec 14, 2010
Hi All,

Looking for some direction for a project using either 2-3v dc motors or one dc motor and a reversing circuit.

End product needs to continuously rotate an object clockwise at about 10 rpm after button 1 of a garage door remote has been pressed and when button 2 is pressed the unit needs to rapidly rotate at least double the clockwise speed but anti-clockwise and only for approx 3 seconds.

I have the garage door receiver and transmitter unit. It has 2 latching relays. Press button 1 and first relay closes, press button 2 and first relay opens and second relay closes.

Not sure if this would be easier with 2 motors because of the high amperage draw from sudden reversing required on a single motor design.

Thoughts so far are to use a 555/6 for PWM speed control and the 3 second time function and to go with two motors.

I could power the reverse motor with full power and the forward motor via the PWM circuit.

When button 2 is pressed the 555 would trigger on and then off after 3 seconds cutting power to the reverse motor and resetting the timer.

All wet or could this work?

Would love help drawing up the schematic :)

freyapilot

Joined Dec 14, 2010
Fastest they will rotate would be about 30 rpm. Pretty slow. They are geared and have 300 oz/in of torque. Way more than I need.
The disc weighs about 1/2 pound.