dc motor control with 2 on/off switches

lewa2702

Joined Jan 31, 2013
Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone knows how would I connect two separate on/off momentary push switches to control 12v dc motor. One moving the motor in one direction, second one in the other. I found the diagram on how to bridge one toggle on/off/on switch to reverse polarity but cant find any which show doing it with two separate switches. Also found some on/off momentary switches which have 2 prongs in back and some have 3. Any recommendations on which switches to use and how to connect them would be appreciated.
Thx

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone knows how would I connect two separate on/off momentary push switches to control 12v dc motor. One moving the motor in one direction, second one in the other. I found the diagram on how to bridge one toggle on/off/on switch to reverse polarity but cant find any which show doing it with two separate switches. Also found some on/off momentary switches which have 2 prongs in back and some have 3. Any recommendations on which switches to use and how to connect them would be appreciated.
Thx
If all you want is direction selection, two double-pole, single-throw(DPST) switches(properly rated) can do this. Referring to this image:

switches s3 and s2 would be one switch, where s1 and s4 would be the other. closing s3 and s2 causes current to flow one way through the motor;with only s1 and s4 closed, current would flow in the opposite direction, changing the direction of the motor.

Note: NEVER EVER leave both switches on at the same time! This shorts your supply...