DC Motor control design?

kh602

Joined Jun 28, 2011
Does anyone have any good books/material on DC Motor control
for speed control and feedback compensating designs using op amps transistors for low voltage motors..that kind of thing?

I know there's a bit out there on ideas and things but would like something more solid to work from and gain more knowledge on the subject.

Regards.

kh602

Joined Jun 28, 2011
thanks for the reply. Does anyone have any experience with closed loop dc motor control that will compensate/feedback to ramp up the motor speed if there is a larger or smaller load on the motor? using a tacho or encoder is not an option since i have a small 6v motor which has no access to the shaft.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You may not have access to the shaft, but could you put marks/notches on whatever you're rotating and make a DIY tacho?

kh602

Joined Jun 28, 2011
not really as its an enclosed rotary vane motor pump assembly. I don't want to use Pic/uC or 555 timers to control the motor either. Seems like thats all i find on the internet

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I don't want to use Pic/uC or 555 timers to control the motor either. Seems like thats all i find on the internet
You probably find those solutions because for a significant number of people, they are the best solution available. Why are you eliminating μCs and 555 timers from consideration?

Maybe if you were to describe in detail your application, you might receive better help. You've meted out bits of information in multiple posts. It is for a 6V DC motor, without access to the shaft, is driving an enclosed rotary vane pump... Anything else we need to know? What is it pumping? Where is it mounted? What is your power supply? What other controls exist currently?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A typical traditional way without true PID feedback is the velocity mode drive that used a DC tach feedback, the Tach was op-amp summed with the variable 0-10v analogue input.
For accurate position control you need a PID loop typically using a quadrature encoder.
If you need to use a method with no external feedback fitted to the motor then it can be done to some extent by a means of measuring motor current feedback internally in the drive itself.
If you want something off the shelf, look for a A-M-C DC drive 12A8 or similar, ebay is a common source.
Max.