DC High Voltage Source with small size

pretty_fly

Joined Feb 2, 2015
Hi guys

I want to build a high voltage source it should be around 40kV (several Volt ripple pot. is perfect) ~100um current. These are not exact values but the important point is how to build it in a smaller size?? We have build one for a school project with my adviser. It was around ~10kV with ~10V ripple. So I have some ideas how to generate such a high voltage but they need generally very big size transformer, capacitors etc. using a cascade multiplier circuit. I saw a product of amptek generating 50kV for an X-ray radiation source and it is very small (2.5cm x 5cm x 15cm including the x-ray tube! ). How this can be achieved? I mean do they use a different method instead of voltage multiplier? And what type of components do they use to put them into such a small size box?

Here it is:
http://amptek.com/products/mini-x-ray-tube/#4

My question is especially about keeping the size small ...

thanks in advance!

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Get a hand held taser and scavenge the circuitry. That will be the smallest and most compact you will find without a corporate spending account.

pretty_fly

Joined Feb 2, 2015
Well you probably talking about the the thing used for flies. I looked at them but they are not very stable and still not comparable with the given example. Hope there will be more ideas...