dc generator not builing up

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by gjo, Jun 13, 2013.

1. gjo

Thread Starter New Member

May 22, 2013
    Why doesn't the DC generator build up , if it's output I'd short circuited

2. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Maybe it's broken.

3. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    Build up???

4. gjo

Thread Starter New Member

May 22, 2013
    Build up, I mean build up generator fields so the generator can produce rated voltage

5. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Is it an auto dynamo, what happens when the field and dynamo output are connected together, it should self excite to full voltage?

6. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Is the question referring to the failure of a self excited DC generator to self-excite with the output shorted. I would have thought that self-evident.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  7. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    This relies on some residual magnetism in the armature. If it hasn't been used for a while this may have faded away. I'm not an expert on this but I think you have to apply some current through the armature windings (by connecting a car battery) to re-magnetise.

8. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    ...... and just make sure that the battery applies the current to the armature in the right direction, else you'll back to square one.

Ramesh

9. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    I think it's the fields not the armature. In the old days we "flashed" the field terminal on the regulator when replacing a generator. Flashed meant to short between the battery and field connections. The fields are the 'magnet' and the armature is the power producer.