dc electronics

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by lynch, Jul 9, 2010.

1. lynch

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 9, 2010
    i need help with a project i am working on.
    i am attempting to put 16kc lights on my truck.
    to avoid pulling power out of other componits. or killing my battery.
    i would like to put a second battory in and hook it up to be charger off the altinator, and run it all to a new fuse box, with 8 switches.
    my main question is how do i hook up the second battery?
    and can i run one big wire to the fuse box and distribute it from there?
    what do i need to do this?
    do i need some kind of splitter to break one wire up into 8?
    what would these parts be called and where could i find them?

thank you
    Daniel

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    If you have room under the hood, put the second battery there. A google search will get you suppliers for 'battery tie-downs' or 'second battery compartments'

You can run 1 'fat' wire to the fuse box, then distribute from there.

Dependent on your alternators amperage rating, you may need a second alternator, or a relay to switch between batteries. Search 'battery isolator'. This will switch your single alternator between charging both batteries, and it will isolate the KC light bar from your existing starter battery.

This helps if you leave the lights on and drain the 2nd battery, you will still have a fully charged battery to start the truck to recharge them both.

The fuse box should be under the hood also, you really should get a certified installer to handle getting the switch box into the passenger compartment.

You can BURN THE TRUCK DOWN...easily.

If you attempt to pass wires through the firewall, and dont do it properly, with proper wiring, insulation, and sleeving, the bumps and vibrations of everyday driving WILL cut through the insulation and cause a short.

Shorts of this current WILL cause sparks. Sparks cause fire. Insurance companies dont pay for 'self induced auto fires'. And thats what they call it.

Buy all the parts, and have an installer wire them.

You can install the stuff you are comfortable with. The light rack and such. And as I said, buy all the parts yourself (dont skimp on quality) then have an installer install them.

You only pay for labor, which is MUCH better than 300% markup on parts, then labor. ;)

lynch likes this.
  3. lynch

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 9, 2010
    thank you.
    might need some need more info
    once again thank you
    Daniel

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Not a problem. Ask away.