DC-DC Morgan Chopper

Briez

Joined Apr 23, 2013
HI,

I am new to power electronics project as i am student of this faculty. I have taken Morgan Chopper as my final year project. I have read its theory and now i want to go through practical implementation. I have to control single phase DC motor in my project.

Can any one give me its practical circuit and the parts numbers of,

1) SCR
2) Diode
3) Freewheeling Diode
4) Saturable Reactor
5) SCR trigger circuit.

Please help me to complete my project.

Thanks In Advance To All....

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
It's puzzling that you seem to expect to be provided with the project design details without any specification of your requirements or attempt at showing any planning - other than understanding the theory of the chopper operation.

Surely as a final year student you must demonstrate reasonable independence by taking responsibility for the necessary project scoping, design & implementation.

Have you written a project specification for instance?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
We see so many of these that it makes me wonder if, "Copy it from the internet" is considered to be a valid engineering process in some schools.

Briez

Joined Apr 23, 2013
here is my theoretical document of morgan chopper and i want to make this circuit but i dont know which scr diodes should be used for 24V DC, 5A. if i want to control 24V DC motor.

Attachments

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
here is my theoretical document of morgan chopper and i want to make this circuit but i dont know which scr diodes should be used for 24V DC, 5A. if i want to control 24V DC motor.
Well that's presumably just a copy directly out of
Power Electronics

By M. D. Singh

It's not a specification.

You would need to calculate the current and voltage conditions for your particular circuit implementation with the chosen DC motor as load. From there you would then calculate the appropriate values &/or ratings of the various devices used in the circuit. This would then give you the device parameters you would specify when selecting the actual devices & components for your implementation. I suspect the hardest part to specify / select will be the saturable inductor. You would also need to develop a control circuit for the generation of the gate firing pulses - also a challenging aspect, as this is what is providing the control strategy or objective you are required to implement.

What is the motor control objective? Speed control? Open or closed loop?

You need to "flesh out" or elaborate what you are required to provide as an overall design implementation for this assignment.

Briez

Joined Apr 23, 2013
Yes i want to control speed of 24V dc motor using chopper circuit (Morgan).
.........................................................................................................

Specifications:
Volt= 24V DC
Amp= 5 A max
....................................................................................................
So please can u varify my search below,

I have searched scr types as per my requirement and found BT151 and diode is 1N4007.

So now i am going to make practical circuit.

Please send me tutorial for triggering circuit of SCR of 24V.