DC current discharge and sound

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by short2ground, Mar 31, 2015.

1. short2ground

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 31, 2015
    Is it possible for high pitched sound to be emitted when a DC current is discharged at a high rate for example during direct short to ground from a battery source?

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Not very likely. You'd have to imagine something vibrating at a high frequency. So far as I know batteries don't vibrate and neither do wires. A spark might be classified as a "high pitched sound" but you didn't mention sparks in your original question.

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    It is often the exclamation that comes from the one who shorted the battery to ground!:p

4. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
  5. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    but just discharging a dc current to ground is not a plasma speaker. the plasma speaker has a modulated high voltage.

6. short2ground

Mar 31, 2015
    So no resonance through wire material or as a result of heat generation? What about the battery itself and internal components reacting to rapid discharge (lead/acid)? OR from reverse flow through full wave rectifier if it were shorted or open at one or more diodes?

7. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Nothing comes to mind. Has anybody else experienced this phenomena?

8. Roderick Young

Feb 22, 2015
    A defective lead-acid battery might whine.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  9. short2ground

Mar 31, 2015
    how might this happen? Are u referring to the gasses escaping the battery or some other cause?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I believe you heard something, but I also believe you were deceived. Some other substance must be involved, such as melting, boiling, and rupturing of insulation on the the wire carrying the current or a substance on the surface of the "ground" being vaporized.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  11. Roderick Young

Feb 22, 2015
    Unfortunately, I don't know the mechanism. I do know that I heard a mystery whining sound, and when I disconnected one of my lead-acid batteries, it stopped. That battery would normally be maybe 13 volts, but it was down to 10, and I was unable to charge it.

12. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    sounds sorta like what a teapot might do when the steam escapes through a small opening. out-gassing from the battery seems the most likely explanation.

13. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Inasmuch as a direct current metal-arc is, necessarily, 'disruptive' (and, hence, 'oscillatory') in nature, it would seem possible from a theoretic standpoint --- Although I cannot claim personal experience of the phenomenon...

Just my $.02

Best regards
    HP