DC current discharge and sound

short2ground

Joined Mar 31, 2015
Is it possible for high pitched sound to be emitted when a DC current is discharged at a high rate for example during direct short to ground from a battery source?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Not very likely. You'd have to imagine something vibrating at a high frequency. So far as I know batteries don't vibrate and neither do wires. A spark might be classified as a "high pitched sound" but you didn't mention sparks in your original question.

short2ground

Joined Mar 31, 2015
So no resonance through wire material or as a result of heat generation? What about the battery itself and internal components reacting to rapid discharge (lead/acid)? OR from reverse flow through full wave rectifier if it were shorted or open at one or more diodes?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I believe you heard something, but I also believe you were deceived. Some other substance must be involved, such as melting, boiling, and rupturing of insulation on the the wire carrying the current or a substance on the surface of the "ground" being vaporized.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
how might this happen? Are u referring to the gasses escaping the battery or some other cause?
Unfortunately, I don't know the mechanism. I do know that I heard a mystery whining sound, and when I disconnected one of my lead-acid batteries, it stopped. That battery would normally be maybe 13 volts, but it was down to 10, and I was unable to charge it.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
sounds sorta like what a teapot might do when the steam escapes through a small opening. out-gassing from the battery seems the most likely explanation.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Is it possible for high pitched sound to be emitted when a DC current is discharged at a high rate for example during direct short to ground from a battery source?
Inasmuch as a direct current metal-arc is, necessarily, 'disruptive' (and, hence, 'oscillatory') in nature, it would seem possible from a theoretic standpoint --- Although I cannot claim personal experience of the phenomenon...

Just my $.02

Best regards
HP