DC converter Idea

muanpuia

Joined Jul 1, 2013
Upto my knowledge, power is always lost in the way of converting and inverting.....hope im right. So lately, im thinking about the way we usually invert/convert powers around from power grid to the motherboard and I really wonder why do we depend on UPS. Im not an advanced electronics engineer like most of you, but i wanna build a DC converter, even if i have to do it step by step. Id be so glad if anyone cared to help please.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
A UPS is to keep your computer running when AC power is lost.. long enough to at least save your work and shut the computer down properly.

And some power will always be lost.. No conversion is 100% efficient..

muanpuia

Joined Jul 1, 2013
Thanks. I think maybe we can omit the conversion step if we put MF battery inside the desktop chasis to supply the motherboard. Then the converter needed would be that MF battery to 3.3, 12, 5 etc buck converter to feed the motherboard. So in my idea there would be no need for the UPS and the conversion step would be shorter. We just have to charge the battery. I hope you get what i mean, my english is poor, please understand.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thanks. I think maybe we can omit the conversion step if we put MF battery inside the desktop chasis to supply the motherboard. Then the converter needed would be that MF battery to 3.3, 12, 5 etc buck converter to feed the motherboard. So in my idea there would be no need for the UPS and the conversion step would be shorter. We just have to charge the battery. I hope you get what i mean, my english is poor, please understand.
You just described the basics of a UPS.:)

muanpuia

Joined Jul 1, 2013
OK, thanks for the response. By the way could you give me any idea to power PC motherboard from 12v battery. What type of conversion would be most suited, and how much AH battery should be needed?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Designing and building a DC-DC converter is not for amateurs. The cost to you of the materials to build one prototype could easily be ten times the cost, not counting shipping, of buying a ready made switching power supply even if your time is worth nothing. Depending on your knowledge of electronics it might take 1-3 years to acquire the knowledge to build a DC-DC converter.

In particular you need to grok* inductors in order to select the core material to wind the one you need, and you need to make a printed circuit board since breadboarding a DC-DC converter is the road to perdition.

I'll let any member who has gone from basic knowledge to DC-DC converter design and construction tell me if my estimates are overblown, or even if I have exaggerated the challenges.

*grok -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
papabravo is correct.. and even attempted to teach you a new word ;)

Of course there are a few "tools" at the manufacturers sites that will easily spit out a schematic/parts list and even sell a development board for a dc/dc circuit... But its still not an "amateur" job.. at all..

muanpuia

Joined Jul 1, 2013
Ok. I think i understand what you mean. Maybe my thinking is too high. Moreover, theres a limit in understanding for me personally as ive never been to a kind of institution. But im into electronics from the age of 8 and self learned from whatever i can get. If im an engineer, id calculate myself all that ive posted here to know that its impossible for my kind. Its my bad that i know too little theory and formulas. But last year, ive successfully repaired siemens somatom esprit CT Scanner, that 3 of their engineer have given up on, its just that theres too much noise signal in the CAN communication interface. But its only low voltage logic signal and its a lot different from power circuits, right? Thank you all so much for all your response. Ill follow up the project anyway in my past time....coz i have enough junk to let them smoke around trying it :)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You don't need to be discouraged, just realistic. The longest journey begins with a single step. You can learn about inductors, capacitors, and switching circuits. From there you can learn about integrated circuits and designing with them, just don't be in a hurry.

If I may make a suggestion learn how to measure the properties of components and acquire the tools and techniques for doing so. When you find an interesting unmarked component you should be able to tell me everything about it. Once you know how to measure components you'll be in much better shape to design with them.

Better yet, buy 2 DC-DC converters. Use one, and take the other one apart, destructively if necessary. Develop the schematic. Use your tools to understand the circuit.